Grr, seat bolt

edited August 2017 in Rover
Out riding in town tonight and stopped at A&W. Sat down on seat, felt a give. Sure enough, seat bike is loose again. Time to put a regular bolt through there me thinks. Just tightened it two weeks ago, maybe rode twice till this evening.

¬ ITL

Comments

• Felt like was more sway in the back. Will have the check fittings and bolts. Think it gets loose from swaying along these sidewalks with ramps for vehicles. The seat mount bolts aren't in the best of places to tighten.

¬ ITL
  • At least nothing broke! My seat loosens then slides also. It's an easy fix on a ride but irritating. I also have issues with the main boom bolt loosening and the seat starts rocking. I must lean too much or am too weak to tighten them properly.

What's the life expectancy of these seats with weekly riding? Mine is 3 years old this month but have ridden it weekly since July 2015.
  • My seat frame cracked a few weeks ago. TerraTrike sent me a new one immediately and I ordered a couple of new seat bolts. They still vibrate loose quite often. As soon as I feel my seat start to wobble, I stop and tighten those bolts. That reminds me, I need got go put some Locktite blue on the one that keeps loosening.
  • fit 1/2-inch bolt top, 5/16 bolt bottom, nylock nuts. seat will not move.
  • I'm not sure if this is applicable or not, but a fellow trike rider passed me last year shortly after I got my Rover. He told me I could improve my experience and be kind to my seat if I would concentrate on minimizing all side-to-side movement while I ride.

He was right, I now sit fairly motionless as I peddle unless I'm just puttsing along and birding a bit too much. ;)

Hope it helps somebody.
  • I'm not sure if this is applicable or not, but a fellow trike rider passed me last year shortly after I got my Rover. He told me I could improve my experience and be kind to my seat if I would concentrate on minimizing all side-to-side movement while I ride.

He was right, I now sit fairly motionless as I peddle unless I'm just puttsing along and birding a bit too much. ;)

Hope it helps somebody.

Wouldn't the side to side movement be a product of mashing the pedals ? Being in to high of a gear possibly and needing to forcefully push with each leg on the pedal stroke?
  • mashing effect really shows up on a delta if you loosely grasp the handlebars in the form of pedal steer. far more stable steering with 2 wheels in front which leaves the seat to take the mashing moments.
  • If I purposely pedal mash the trike goes into the tadpole mode sorta swerving side to side slightly and your core follows.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    If I purposely pedal mash the trike goes into the tadpole mode sorta swerving side to side slightly and your core follows.

Which models do you have? I have a Rover and never get pedal steer.
  • i have a rover with aligned wheels and can get a bit of boom swerve if mashing with the handlebars are very lightly grasped.
  • edited September 2017
    Captainbob wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »
    If I purposely pedal mash the trike goes into the tadpole mode sorta swerving side to side slightly and your core follows.

I can create pedal steer if I mash on the pedals strong enough. That effort will cause your torso/core to also lean/shift some as you push which causes the tadpole effect and why trikes are called tadpoles. Get on a steep grade and try it out. If it doesn't happen the grade isn't steep enough.
    I do not mash pedals as a practice. My trike is a Zoomer SL 26" and the wheels are very well aligned.
  • edited September 2017
    Think the main support, 90% or better, is on the small clamp under the seat. The bolts back out, and when they get out a ways even the most stable-sat rider can feel movement.

Since the seat is laid back, the bicycle rack & rod adjusters would have to take up the slack. Will have to go over all the contact points, again. I do not care for the two allen bolts for the seat adjuster - one side fits good while the other not so much. (Been that way since purchase.) Am considering replacing that whole bolt system with a standard bolt, washers, and a good nut that can hold up better. - Been busy.

Think in this case, having a taller cargo rack would be better in giving support to the seat as opposed to the recommended version?

As per my second comment, we have sidewalks that are used as bike paths. Argue with Payette & Malheur - not me. They have sidewalks with a lot of little ramps so vehicles can get in and out over the sidewalks.

Riding over the many of those one has to lean their torso over to the right or cause more strain on the seat bolt by not doing so. Either way there is a constant movement back and forth. It is NOT safe to ride in the roadway. There is NO ROOM for a bicycle a four lane highway, let alone a trike. 35 MPH posted speed - 35 MPH on a Rover would be a scary experience.

¬ ITL
  • terratrike cargo rack alone does a pretty good job of stiffening the seat and replacing the seat strut grenade pins with 1/4 bolts tightens things up even further. also have 1/4 threaded rod tying the seat struts together about midpoint.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    Captainbob wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »

I can create pedal steer if I mash on the pedals strong enough. That effort will cause your torso/core to also lean/shift some as you push which causes the tadpole effect and why trikes are called tadpoles. Get on a steep grade and try it out. If it doesn't happen the grade isn't steep enough.
    I do not mash pedals as a practice. My trike is a Zoomer SL 26" and the wheels are very well aligned.

My Rover doesn't do that, even up steep hills, but I have the original Rover, maybe the frame with the bolts though the frame is stiffer. Because a trike has pedal steer ( which very few decent trikes don't have ) , is not why it is called a tadpole, by the way.. LOL.... Funny...
  • Yield to the expert.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    terratrike cargo rack alone does a pretty good job of stiffening the seat and replacing the seat strut grenade pins with 1/4 bolts tightens things up even further. also have 1/4 threaded rod tying the seat struts together about midpoint.

Exellent idea with the threaded rod. I had a recumbent that I had built and the usual tube seat supports did not make for a solid seat.I then brazed in a cross piece and it dramatically solidified things. I am going to do the threaded stock mod on my Rover when I get it.