Old Path

edited August 2017 in Legacy Products
"I see my nearly 4-year old Path is now a Tour". I wrote this in a post in 2012 so I guess I have been riding this machine for about 9 years. They must have installed good bearings in the wheels because it still rolls down even the slightest incline. I wish it had the locking brake levers like the one I bought for my wife last year. I use these elastic bands women, and men I suppose, use for their pony tails.
As my grip gets weaker it is hard to shift down into my two lower gears. I finally put a hose clamp on the shift grip, folded the excess threaded part back and wrapped it with black electrical tape. Now there is a little more something to grip and shifting is no problem. I used to reach over with my left hand to shift.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    I knew I posted a picture the other day but forgot how I did it. It isn't very straightforward.
  • There are bicycle grips made that are molded so as to have a flat, extended portion meant to rest the palm of the hand. One of those could help with your shifting.
  • I got a pair of bike gloves as part of a Christmas present last year. Ever since I started using them I haven't had any issue with shifting my twist shifters.
  • The grips on this old path are vertical. There would no problem if they were near horizontal. I do wear gloves but the shifter is down between my little finger and third finger.
  • on the vertical mounts, i just got in the habit of slipping the hand down and using thumb and forefinger to twist the grip.
  • That didn't work for me either. My problem is simply old age and weaker muscles. My daily ride is my only source of aerobic exercise. It is a two to four mile round trip, summer and winter, to my local library. Only piles of plowed snow at the bike and sidewalk intersections stops me. Our bike paths are plowed before the streets. I am off in a few minutes to Home Depot, a shorter ride.
  • something of this nature might help: https://www.crampbuster.com/

search similar: motorcycle throttle assist
  • JamesR wrote: »
    something of this nature might help: https://www.crampbuster.com/

search similar: motorcycle throttle assist

Interesting, but the installation video implies it is a one-way device. Motorcycle throttles have a spring return. My hose clamp works fine.