Rambler AT tire and wheel sizes/swaps

I just got a set of brand new schwalbe marathon plus tires for my AT in the 1.75" width. I'm hoping they fit on the extra wide rims. Does anyone have experience with this? Also I have several 26" rear wheels with disc brake hubs. Has anyone tried to fit a 26" rear wheel on their AT and if so, what's the widest tire? Am I seeing things or is the rear dropout able to adapt a rear disc brake? I'm going to swap out the BB7's for a set of TRP spyre dual piston mechanical disc brake setup on all three wheels with the jagwire ripcord mountain pro compression less cable housing and stretch proof ripcord cables. These need to be paired to the avid speedial 7 levers of course! (I love the locking mechanism on the brake levers it came with but they don't work as well as the speedial 7's). I figured I would ask before I start taking it apart. I also wonder if 26" wheels will work on the front . My idea is to put a set of three schwalbe Durano plus 32mm wide (I bought up the remaning stock of 26" size tires from schwalbe when I heard they were going to discontinue the Durano plus in the 26" size) on a new set of wheels with narrower rims so I can simply swap out the wheels if I want to work this trike into my commuter bike rotation fir riding on the road. Has anyone done this? Maybe uncle chonk can add his insight? It's been about a month since I got it and my gps reads 432 miles, 90% of which has been off road

Comments

• I've heard you can fit a 26" on the rear, I have several that are very light weight but narrower than the TT rims, but haven't tried it yet. the problem with the fronts is the front hubs use the 8mm wider wheel allen bolts, not a quick release. You'd need a set of 26" wheels with the TT hubs to replace the 24"' fronts.

I switched the OEM Smart Sams 24" tires for Kenda Small Block 8's in 24' because they are thicker side walls and thicker tread than the Smart Sams. I stayed with knobbies cause I do a lot of ditch bank dirt road riding.
  • No, 26" wheels won't work in the front because there is no clearance for the handlebars. You have limited room with the 24" wheels!

Why would you buy a thinner tire for an all-terrain trike? Are you planning to ever take it off pavement? That tire may not work. It comes with 2.10 tires to provide strength and comfort on rough surfaces.

Unless you got an amazing bargain on those tires and never plan to leave pavement, I would not have made that purchase. I'm starting to wonder why you even bothered paying so much for this trike. Apparently, you don't like the stock model!
  • I love the trike and bought it to ride off road with my sons and their buds which I have been doing a lot since I got it. Now that school is starting my kids are engrossed in sports so I know we won't have time to trail ride for a while.
    I recently sold five trikes and donated two and sold off all but two of my two wheel bents. Trying to re-claim space in my bicycle garage! That being said I plan to use the AT on the road as well instead of buying yet another trike. It's versatile enough to also be a nice touring/commuting trike with the MP tires. I am not one to leave well enough alone! Always looking to improve my bents and tweak them. It's sort of a hobby as well as a fitness routine. I love the mechanics of it!
    In my opinion the only thing I would change about the stock AT is the brakes and cables to TRP spyre and jagwire ripcord cables and mountain pro housings. I've done it to 14 bikes, trikes and even my rotovelo velomobile. They just work better. BB7's are great and also work well enough but the TRP's stop better and are actually less expensive to boot so why not? It literally took me 30 minutes to swap everything out in my scorpion fs26 and it was a nice swap. I was especially glad I started using them when I converted my Azub to electric assist earlier this year because it was so fast I needed more powerful brakes (Bafang 1500 watt mid drive). Then I tried the TRP hydro calipers that are mechanical cable actuated on my modded catrike speed and they too were a vast improvement so I just think they will make an already awesome trike a tiny bit better!
    I'd be happy to share the experience and offer test rides with the new brakes and tires if anyone wants to see the AT in it's dinner suit for the road! I'm in Sedona AZ or the NYC Metro area, depending on my schedule
  • have to agree with TCEd about the artistry of this poster.

per Florida_bound: nobody with multiple trike experience would even think of 26-inch wheels on terratrike fronts.

this nonsense about the trp brakes suggests the poster is trying to unload an unfortunate bulk purchase (if true) on innocent trikers.

old military aircraft mechanic at this end, quite well aware of double-piston calipers. same cars - and you will note that these employ a rigid!, not a flexible disk, which may (or may not) be the reason utah trikes does not sell them.

nor is there anyone over on the bentrider site enthused about the trp brakes while, despite MISTER uncle chonk's warning, the proprietor of that site is still being libeled by what i consider a creative writing troll.
  • I just got a set of brand new schwalbe marathon plus tires for my AT in the 1.75" width. I'm hoping they fit on the extra wide rims. Does anyone have experience with this? Also I have several 26" rear wheels with disc brake hubs. Has anyone tried to fit a 26" rear wheel on their AT and if so, what's the widest tire? Am I seeing things or is the rear dropout able to adapt a rear disc brake? I'm going to swap out the BB7's for a set of TRP spyre dual piston mechanical disc brake setup on all three wheels with the jagwire ripcord mountain pro compression less cable housing and stretch proof ripcord cables. These need to be paired to the avid speedial 7 levers of course! (I love the locking mechanism on the brake levers it came with but they don't work as well as the speedial 7's). I figured I would ask before I start taking it apart. I also wonder if 26" wheels will work on the front . My idea is to put a set of three schwalbe Durano plus 32mm wide (I bought up the remaning stock of 26" size tires from schwalbe when I heard they were going to discontinue the Durano plus in the 26" size) on a new set of wheels with narrower rims so I can simply swap out the wheels if I want to work this trike into my commuter bike rotation fir riding on the road. Has anyone done this? Maybe uncle chonk can add his insight? It's been about a month since I got it and my gps reads 432 miles, 90% of which has been off road

Wait! you earlier said this " I liked the direct drive (No idlers), high ground clearance and what turns out is the perfect size wheels for an off road trike! I figured I'd give it a try and bought it.
    I have now put 689 miles on it.".

I think you're making things up and full of crap.

• 26" wheels for the front on an AT would be problematic for a number of reasons. As has been stated already, the clearance to the stock handlebars would be one issue. The next would be the much higher center of gravity. You would also lose turning radius as those larger tires rub either feet or frame on a tight turn. The gain for many wouldn't be worth the trade off for what is lost. Go with a larger tire on the 20" or 24" for the increased air volume. Softer ride as well as maintaining turn and hand clearance.

The Avid BB7 is one of the best mechanical brake systems that can be put on a trike. Short of going with hydraulics, which many of us here wouldn't want due to the much higher maintenance requirements. It took me about 2 hours to do both front rotors and calipers, and that was cuz I had to cut the old rotor screws off. Needless to say, most riders here aren't going to want to mess with hydraulics, if they knew the added work required to keep them functional.

While the Bafang BBSHD can be run at 1500W, it's not how the motor is sold. It's sold as a 1000W motor, and the labels on the motor clearly state such. If your motor's label says 1500W, well, someone rebranded the thing, and unless you got it from a reputable source, warranty has been voided. (And even some of the reputable dealers aren't going to warranty something that has been intentionally modified past stock. Check out any of the firmware modding topics on that motor for more info.) Your risks, not mine. If you are going to say you have a 1500W motor, let's make sure we're talking apples and apples. Give the model number, not something off the wall. (BTW, I run a BBS02 and have been drooling over the BBSHD for a while now. As one of the first etrikers on this forum, I've done a lot of research into this topic.)

I second the above opinions regarding thinner tires as well. Putting thinner tires on an AT seems like you aren't really intending the trike for what it was designed for. All Terrain. That means off road riding as well as road riding. I would think, if you really want to go off road, you are going to put wider tires on the trike, not thinner. Wider tires are going to increase the tire's contact point, and make it much easier to float over loose surfaces than a thinner tire would. Try riding on a sandy beach with 1.75" tires and you'll see the what the AT was designed for, and why wider is better for that type of surface. I run 20"x3" Kenda Flames for this scenario. (Among other reasons.)

Pictures are worth more than words. I had posted up several pics of eFreedom, but due to the forum getting hacked, my older posts are now gone, including any that had photos. If you truly want to impress us with your over-whelming knowledge and skills riding, post some pictures. Otherwise I tend to agree with the other long time posters here, you are trolling. Post pictures or move along. Most of your posts have been nothing more than smoke and mirrors to a lot of us.
  • edited September 2017
    The guy Recumbentrx is a fake, read my comment on his last post.
  • I love the trike and bought it to ride off road with my sons and their buds which I have been doing a lot since I got it. Now that school is starting my kids are engrossed in sports so I know we won't have time to trail ride for a while.
    I recently sold five trikes and donated two and sold off all but two of my two wheel bents. Trying to re-claim space in my bicycle garage! That being said I plan to use the AT on the road as well instead of buying yet another trike. It's versatile enough to also be a nice touring/commuting trike with the MP tires. I am not one to leave well enough alone! Always looking to improve my bents and tweak them. It's sort of a hobby as well as a fitness routine. I love the mechanics of it!
    In my opinion the only thing I would change about the stock AT is the brakes and cables to TRP spyre and jagwire ripcord cables and mountain pro housings. I've done it to 14 bikes, trikes and even my rotovelo velomobile. They just work better. BB7's are great and also work well enough but the TRP's stop better and are actually less expensive to boot so why not? It literally took me 30 minutes to swap everything out in my scorpion fs26 and it was a nice swap. I was especially glad I started using them when I converted my Azub to electric assist earlier this year because it was so fast I needed more powerful brakes (Bafang 1500 watt mid drive). Then I tried the TRP hydro calipers that are mechanical cable actuated on my modded catrike speed and they too were a vast improvement so I just think they will make an already awesome trike a tiny bit better!
    I'd be happy to share the experience and offer test rides with the new brakes and tires if anyone wants to see the AT in it's dinner suit for the road! I'm in Sedona AZ or the NYC Metro area, depending on my schedule

How about a picture of you with all your trikes/ velos and you sitting on you AT ?
  • @Elrique64 - wish you hadnt mentioned the bbshd. honorable rover was destined as a donor in a few days but, having flames up front and a nexus-8 hub, plus the low-rider rack, am wiping the drool off me chin. think i shall think a bit before contacting luna cycle.

gave up on the idea of an electric wheel. quite feasible but i loves me nexus. what are you using for a rear tire? type of charger?
  • edited September 2017
    I dunno about your RAT; recumbentrx; but mine came with all Jaguar Cables. The only reason I'd replace mine for for a different color.
  • edited September 2017
    Charger from Lunacycle, the model they no longer sell or I would have 2 of them, one in the house, one permanently in the U-bag on the trike. It has a dial for 80%, 90% and 100%. I love this charger!

Tires? Kenda Flame 20"x3" Hub is a Nexus-8 with an 18T sprocket and a 48T on the BBS02.
  • thanx, sir! good to know, cant see $300 for the fancy grintech 80% charger.

your previous comment got me going over to luna tonight - gads! 2nd anniversary pre-order sale limited time on a full bbshd kit. the drool has increased.
  • They have a good deal on the BBS02 as well. I'm seriously thinking about the BBSHD, but as the BBS02 I have now works very well, hard to justify swapping to the HD....

They do have an 80%-100% charger at Luna. It has a toggle switch instead of a dial like mine has. Either way it does what it says it does, charging to that battery level. I can see a definite difference on the trike as to which level I have the battery charged to.
  • Thought this thread was about tire/wheel swaps NOT E-bike chargers...? Just a question....