TerraTrike Design Change Observations

I currently own a TT Path 8 IGH that has been upgraded to 16 speeds with the addition of a Patterson Metropolis 2 speed transmission up front. The Path is a fun trike to ride with the low 9 1/2" seat height and the Ackerman steering.

Lately I have been thinking about moving on to a newer model with an external drive system, 24, 27 or 30 available gear combinations. When looking through the product line on TT's website, I discovered a pattern. It seems that the newer models all have the taller seat height of 15" to 15-1/2" and are all direct drive. My wife's 2015 Rambler fits in this category and, quite frankly, I'm not too found on it. My steering is so much quicker than her Rambler's and I feel more comfortable lower to the ground on my Path.

I would like to hear other's opinions on the apparent trend with TerraTrike's newer designs.

Comments

• I am a senior citizen, which many Trike owners that I have met are, and when shopping for a Trike years ago, I decided after trying to get in and out of a low seat model trike, that trikes were not for me. This all changed when I tried the Rover, with it's higher seat, and I bought one. Since then, I have met many riders on the trails with low seat models, and have never once considered sitting in the seats on their trikes to try it. I also notice that many manufacturers in the last few years, have been offering models with higher seats. Probably marketing research driven.
  • Seat height is definite plus for me. Tried getting in and out of several Cats and just can't hack it. Rover 2016 has taken me over 10,000 kms and does not feel 'tippy' to me, although I have taken two minor low speed spills through my own stupidity.
  • edited September 2017
    I'd suggest looking for a used Zoomer if you want a low seat height. Mine is about 8'. There's one for sale on this forum.
    Obviously seat height is important if you're physically limited and cannot get in or out of a low seat. But if you can you'll find a extremely comfortable seating position and low C.G. .
    http://www.terratrike.com/ttforum/discussion/4046/used-zoomer-for-sale#latest
  • I've had my Rambler AT for three months now and I love the seat height. Earlier this year I sold my 12 year old Catrike Road. I much prefer the higher seat position. When riding through traffic my head is much closer to eye level with car drivers. That feels much safer to me. When I test rode this Rambler, I also test rode a current Catrike Road with suspension. The Rambler has lighter steering than the Road. Surprised me. I expected the 24 inch tires to make for stiff steering. I'm glad it turned out to be better than I expected in that area. Gordon_O
  • edited September 2017
    I wound up borrowing a Catrike Expedition I believe it was that one of the local shops people owned while my Rover was waiting weeks for parts. I found it very uncomfortable and left home as little as possible because of it. I have to agree with TerraTrikes choices on seat height and handlebars but making a model more like them could be good for some riders. It would likely be a made to order thing though since I think most of there customers are more interested in ease of use and comfort then speed.
  • YamiYuki wrote: »
    I wound up borrowing a Catrike Expedition I believe it was that one of the local shops people owned while my Rover was waiting weeks for parts. I found it very uncomfortable and left home as little as possible because of it. I have to agree with TerraTrikes choices on seat height and handlebars but making a model more like them could be good for some riders. It would likely be a made to order thing though since I think most of there customers are more interested in ease of use and comfort then speed.

I think YamiYuki made a valid point. My first trike was a Rambler GT and that was my first experience. I put 1,200 miles on it. It's seat height and steering configuration made it squirrely at high speed (25+) and I had to slow down appreciably on sharp turns/corners which I experienced riding the Razorback Greenway in NW Arkansas. I did what had to be done and the miles piled up. The one thing I did was to change out the front crankset (smaller chain rings and shorter pedals made my Lasco) so I had a much better low gear. The shorter crank arms were much kinder to my knees. I loved that TTRGT and named him "Tenacity".

I grew in experience and comfort with riding. I moved on to a Catrike 559 which sat lower and had vertical steering bars and shifters. Yes, it was different, very different than the Rambler, but I liked it. It sat lower and the steering was a bit harder but I think it was because, unlike the TT bars, more leverage was necessary for hard turns. Using vertical shifters took some getting use to. There was no indicator, no click, no dial to tell you what gear you were in. I had to learn by feel. I just had to grow into it. What I did like about the 559 was stability of sitting lower. I'd have to say I grew into it.

Did I like the TTRGT? Yes, I did, very much. Did I like my Catrike 559 and now my Catrike Dumont (really a 559 with full suspension)? Yes, very much. TTs and the Catrikes are very different trike types. What you want/need is going to depend on a lot of things. I'd suggest reading this forum extensively and test ride things before you buy which can be a challenge given the small number of dealers. If you have individual questions about my experience then please ask. I'll be glad to put in my two cents worth. The totality of my experience is documented in my blog at trikesterhal.blogspot.com. I really need to start doing more posts now that I'm retired and here in Arizona... Bear with me, please.

If you already have a trike then get on it and ride, ride, ride. The sun's up here and I'm about to get DP out of the shed a do 20 miles before it gets too hot. DP? That's Deep Purple, the name of my Catrike Dumont. I'm outta here!
  • There's a simple solution. Don't ride that fast! You miss all the beautiful scenery.

I will never ride a trike that sits so low. I am very fearful that drivers won't see me and run me over. Plus, I wouldn't be able to get on and off of it. With my new knees, I can now get off my Rover with 24" wheels without using my hands. That's a major improvement. But, my next trike (if I can afford one) will be the Rambler AT. I will never go back to the small tires even if it takes more effort to push them on rough roads. The ride is so much nicer and handling is great!
  • I think the O.P. expressed his interest in a lower seat trike and everyone is discussing their high seat trike.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    I think the O.P. expressed his interest in a lower seat trike and everyone is discussing their high seat trike.

The OP was asking why Terratrike seems to be focusing on higher seat trikes, and some including me are giving what we think is the reasoning behind that move by TT.
  • Captainbob is spot on. I've had my Path for over 5 years and I find the seat height perfect for me. With a possible upgrade in my future, I would of course want something similar in design and TT has gotten away from a low seat design. I'm only 67 and in pretty good health with no knee issues , but if that changes in the distant future, I might need a taller seat height. But not now. My wife had a knee replaced two years ago and her Rambler has allowed her to ride with me, so I do see a need for a taller seat height. But to eliminate all trikes with a low seat height from your product line does not seem like good business sense to me.

I've totally enjoyed my Path and have nothing but compliments for TerraTrike, but in order to get a trike that suits my needs I will have to purchase a different brand.
  • Maybe Terra Trike feels the higher seats fits their fan base better. Seriously, there are very riders posting on here under 50. And most rider Terra Trikes because they can no longer ride anything else.

I don't know what their business plan is but they seem to be selling a ton of the current and new models. Move to what works!
  • You'll are correct that T.T. seems to be focusing on models with a higher seat. It is interesting that other builders have a significant number of low seat trikes so there is a need that they fill. Age isn't the qualifier for a low or high seat though.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    You'll are correct that T.T. seems to be focusing on models with a higher seat. It is interesting that other builders have a significant number of low seat trikes so there is a need that they fill. Age isn't the qualifier for a low or high seat though.

It is also significant that in the last several years many Trike manufacturers have added high seat and adjustable seats to their models.
  • Captainbob wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »
    You'll are correct that T.T. seems to be focusing on models with a higher seat. It is interesting that other builders have a significant number of low seat trikes so there is a need that they fill. Age isn't the qualifier for a low or high seat though.

It is also significant that in the last several years many Trike manufacturers have added high seat and adjustable seats to their models.

Yup, but look on the Recumbent F.B. page and there are a bunch of low seat riders. Just good someone does fill the need for low seat trikes is my point. Eventually just about all of us will end up in a high seat E trike or quit but until then options are good.
  • I've had my Rambler EVO for a week now. I sold my golf cart to help finance this new toy. I live in a golf cart community. My Ford sits untouched for a week sometime because everything I normally need is in the vicinity. I LOVE MY EVO! I'm retired, I'm old and overweight and have a bad knee too. I'm getting off my fat ass and getting outside and getting more exercise since I bought my new Terra Trike. My wife insisted I get the electric assist as I have COPD. I'm so glad I did!. The electric assist took 20 years off me when I'm out riding.
    Thank you Terra Trike.