Stolen Trikes

2»

Comments

• On the Recumbent Trike facebook page there are 5,400+ members. I asked who had or knew of a trike being stolen. Over one week only nine people posted they had or knew of a trike that was stolen.
    Most were taken from yards, garages etc. I personally don't think there is that great of a threat of having a trike stolen at the coffee shop or out of your truck or car or a ride off. But do what you must.
  • The big problem is these trikes depreciate so quickly. My 2014 Rover 8i is only worth about $500. The upgraded tires and wheels cost me $600 and the Patterson crank would have been another $300!

I will do all I can to ensure it's not stolen. Ordering my alarm from Terra Trike now!
  • I use an insurance company that you decide a value and just pay for that, no concern on depreciation.
    I just know I can't afford to replace it if something happens so I insured it.
  • You are quite wise YamiYuki!
  • Depreciation? A trike is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, or is insured for. I chuckle when someone uses the depreciation thing in negotiation versus buying new. I politely tell them they called me at the advertised price and they are standing in my driveway looking and they are more than welcome to pay full New price and then they can hear the depreciation argument.......
  • edited September 2017
    I agree but insurance companies usually look for any reason to give you as little as possible.
  • edited September 2017
    I remember in high school being taught that the purpose of insurance was to create a pool of money to help protect all of the policyholders in case of a loss. Boy, was that a crock of $#%&. It's about making profit. The more you can deny a policyholder, the higher you raise the rates, the more profit you make. That's the corporate model.
  • Absolutely! I worked for insurance companies from 1976-1986. I saw companies ignore massive losses because they were making ridiculous amount of interest on their capital. When interest rates started falling, they panicked and didn't want to insure risky properties. Also, there were mergers and reductions in personnel. I endured both then finally quite when I go married and move to another town.
  • My homeowners insurance company told me my trike will be covered even if it is stolen away from my home. I have USAA.
  • Lucky you! I was a military spouse for 14 years and we never bought USAA insurance. Big mistake! Now as a retired DoD employee, I don't have access to their products. My son uses everything they offer including financing his house.
  • @browell776 while what your insurance company is undoubtedly true, you might not have realized that you will need to pay your deductible which is likely a minimum of at least $500 and will entail depreciation.

Not to sound like a broken record, but if you schedule your trike on a separate rider specifically for the amount you want to receive for your trike if stolen, and at a zero deductible, then the entire value you insured your trike will be at your disposal if there is a theft or serious accident. While I have never needed to use such insurance to cover a stolen trike, I have used it to cover lost and broken camera gear. My experience has been that quality insurance companies honor their policies.
  • @browell776 while what your insurance company is undoubtedly true, you might not have realized that you will need to pay your deductible which is likely a minimum of at least $500 and will entail depreciation.

Not to sound like a broken record, but if you schedule your trike on a separate rider specifically for the amount you want to receive for your trike if stolen, and at a zero deductible, then the entire value you insured your trike will be at your disposal if there is a theft or serious accident. While I have never needed to use such insurance to cover a stolen trike, I have used it to cover lost and broken camera gear. My experience has been that quality insurance companies honor their policies.

Good advice
    Thanks
  • Lucky you! I was a military spouse for 14 years and we never bought USAA insurance. Big mistake! Now as a retired DoD employee, I don't have access to their products. My son uses everything they offer including financing his house.

I would have your son contact USAA and see if you could be eligible to have their insurance. I have a really strong feeling that you can. I urge you to go for it.

• TCEd wrote: »
    Anyone wanting to steal mine can have it. I just posted to show some of the technology that exists.

They can have mine too if they can outrun a 45
  • I just purchased a Tandem Pro recently. I explored purchasing something called a 'personal articles policy' through State Farm Insurance. ( I have auto insurance with them and they broker our Florida Citizens home owners policy) This type of policy would have offered replacement cost of the bike against theft etc. without depreciation. The annual premium would have been $762.00. That wasn't affordable for me and I haven't bothered to inquire about coverage through my homeowners insurance. I keep the tandem locked up with a motor cycle chain in my locked garage and am considering getting a burglar alarm for the garage. I too have searched the internet and am frustrated that there isn't a company out there that has developed a good and reliable bike alarm for trikes. When we are out riding one of us always stays with the bike, but it sure would be nice to stop for a cold beer sometimes.
  • https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/xena-xzz6-disc-lock-with-alarm-for-scooters-

How about something like this. A disc lock with a motion sensor alarm.
  • If nothing else I'd recommend listing your trike at BikeIndex.org. Affix their sticker on the frame. Anything that makes your trike look distinctive also lessens the chances of your it being stolen.
  • Saw this recommendation over at GoSun Community forum. GPS tracker with a battery life of 1 to 2 weeks. Looks to be USB rechargeable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVZ6Y4T/ref=psdc_617650011_t1_B00JG8KCLO?pldnSite=1

¬ ITL
  • I saw $24.95 a month. Is that the cost for the tracking service you may use only once?
  • Use yor guard dogs.
  • Rip off.