Strapless toe clips

I went back pages last night looking for a post I thought I had seen this year.
Thought it said about using these with
heel slings. And a forum user was or had tried this set up. Anyone remember this??

Comments

• Yes, in addition to heel slings, as a method to keep da feet dere. :p
  • Whatever works for you. I think it is dangerous not to use "something" to help hold your feet on the pedals.
  • Whatever works for you. I think it is dangerous not to use "something" to help hold your feet on the pedals.

Unless you don't mind a broken leg or two.
  • No broken tibia, fibia or unobtainia yet. My speed happy gauge maxes out at
    20 mph. Trike gets squirrelly above that. Would 26" tires give me better stability or would I need a tank track?
  • I was on your side until I was on my local bike path and I hit a root that was pushing up the concrete. My foot didn't come off of the pedal, but it just as easily could have. I now use SPD's. Take no chances and you don't want to say "I wish I had..."
  • I'm visiting Pennsylvania currently, and just heard of a local bike rider with SPD's that had his leg run over and crushed when he couldn't free his foot from the pedals in time. I guess there is no panacea for foot safety.
  • Can you share the particulars of this accident, if you know? Thanks.
  • I'm sure someone will use the info about the bike rider being unable to unclip as a reason NOT to go with spd's. We do NOT know the particulars of the accident. We really do not KNOW if them un-clipping might have saved their life.
    SPD's, or the TT straps or whatever will keep your feet away from falling down off the pedals while triking is the important message.
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    No broken tibia, fibia or unobtainia yet. My speed happy gauge maxes out at
    20 mph. Trike gets squirrelly above that. Would 26" tires give me better stability or would I need a tank track?
    Make sure your health insurance is paid up.

• From what I read his foot/leg was crushed. Don't know if it was a DF or
    a trike.
  • Put toe clips on but they deflect upward. I bought local so I didn't have to wait. Going to try a couple of washers to push clip away from shoe a bit. Seems snug enough now like only a rollover could knock foot out. :)
    I went back pages last night looking for a post I thought I had seen this year.
    Thought it said about using these with
    heel slings. And a forum user was or had tried this set up. Anyone remember this??

That was probably me. terratrike.com/ttforum/discussion/comment/21664/#Comment_21664
  • Thought so but I couldn't find it. Feet are snug between heel slings and toe
    clips. Have some tweaking to do to move clips fwd a tad more. But the first
    7 miles tonight with this new set up went well.
  • YamiYuki- Can/do you pivot your foot into the toe clip? Do you have to pull back the toe clips at all to get shoe in? I have to put shims between pedal and toe clip to push toe clip further out. If I loosened the heel slings, my heel would hit the cross pipe.
  • Yes, it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to have some way of keeping ones feet securely attached while ridding, and a way to quickly release ones feet from the pedals when needed. I've been using XL Power-Grips and am looking at ways to further secure my feet to the pedals. Considering adding TT heal straps and/or old style toe clips. I think a small piece of Velcro tape added to the rear of my riding shoes where the strap should rest will improve the setup I have.

Any thoughts anyone? Would toe clips (with or without heel slings) work better than Power Grips with heel slings, or is it likely to aggravate my diabetic foot neuropathy?
  • I'm not sure what Power Grips are. I saw a pict of a diagonal strap across the top of the shoe. Is that it? What was their selling point? DF users?
  • These are Power Grips, a different way to "stay connected" to your pedals.
    http://www.powergrips.com/ I tried them years ago didn't care for them; went to clip-less shoes and pedals. Had been using toe-clips and toe straps on my road bikes from '82 till about '88 and then when to clip-less pedals NEVER looked back or regretted it!. JUST for me.
    YamiYuki- Can/do you pivot your foot into the toe clip? Do you have to pull back the toe clips at all to get shoe in? I have to put shims between pedal and toe clip to push toe clip further out. If I loosened the heel slings, my heel would hit the cross pipe.

You can, I personally just push and wiggle my feet in but I don't think that would work for most people since my "shoes" are sandals I made with just thin sole rubber and paracord.
  • I'm visiting Pennsylvania currently, and just heard of a local bike rider with SPD's that had his leg run over and crushed when he couldn't free his foot from the pedals in time. I guess there is no panacea for foot safety.

About 2 months ago I was riding my Easy Racer recumbent and passed out at 15 mph. When I came to I realized I had crashed, my one foot had released from the road Look pedals, the other foot still connected. No broken bones, just road rash and bruises where the bike hit me and where I hit the road. AFIB heart condition, was too dehydrated which screws up blood chemistry.

Reluctantly sold my Easy Racer. No more 2 wheel transportation for me. Getting ready to buy a Rover as a winter project and customized to parts of my choosing and ride next spring.

And when I had my trike years ago I used the same Look pedals. Never a problem. In the winter I wore heavy boots to keep my feet warm. The Look pedals were changed out to bear claw Shimanos with double length Powergrip straps. The serrated pedals held my feet in position, the Powergrips held my feet on the pedals.
  • Seems like there is a majority that share the need for some form of foot retention when riding a trike. I had the unfortunate luck of having my foot slip off a pedal when I was spinning out on my very first ride on a rental Rambler years ago. Foot suck got me good enough that I immediately put SPD's on the trike I bought. With the SPD clips I have never experienced not being able to unclip or clip in. The pedals have a tension adjustment that should be set for each individual rider.

Foot suck won't necessarily happen to everyone but to those it does it will be regrettable both physically and possibly psychologically.
  • Used my heel straps and toe clips with the shims in place for the toe straps. Not so easy getting feet in and out but they hold em firm. Now dats da idea!
  • I too looked at Power Grips but decided against them because they cramp the feet. With poor circulation due to diabetes the last thing I wanted was something squeezing my feet. Instead I went with SPD (Shimano) clips instead.

Clipping and unclipping has not been a problem because you can set the tension on the pedals to an optimum strength without worrying about being trapped if you should turn your trike over. (Been there, done that once... Unclipped as I turned the trike over.)

Another advantage of SPDs is the extra effort/energy I used to expend on keeping my feet on the pedals is now used to push on the pedals. That means less fatigue and more power without worrying about my feet flying off the pedals. I enjoy riding a lot more.