Time To Replace Seat

My seat cover started ripping not long after buying it. The trim on the side where the seat cover goes around the lower frame has completely separated. Rather than buy a new cover, I think I'm going to spend the additional amount for the wide seat. Who has bought one? Any issues with the wider seat?

You know, the Rover can hold someone who weighs 400 lbs. That individual will never fit in the standard seat. I'm not that large but have been big boned my whole life. It would be nice if the seat did not hit my hip bones. A new Apple Watch will have to wait.

Comments

• I've been at 400# and had no problem in the seat. The end bars by the legs have an issue where the slot pocket is, as it folds over the seat tubing which forms a large lump. That lump hurts after having a few miles on, and can linger on a few days - making riding uncomfortable.
    Solution for me was to add a granny cushion over the seat. But that also interferes with the position I had set for the headrest.

Had asked @chonk if the newer GT seat would fit in a Rover, but he's touring for TT.

Wider seat would probably have to hold the weight of the rider more than the standard seat. Would suggest watching the buckles and reinforcing with wide wire ties if needed.
    Already had an issue with the lower front seat buckle coming undone, lost the seat wedge.

About the only other issue I've had with seat is the allen tightening bolts on each side coming loose too often. A wider seat would possibly flex more on the bracket.

My 6¢ worth. Cheers!
  • Also, the wider seat might restrict steering movement, making the turning radius wider
  • I don't think it will bother me with the higher, modified handlebars.
  • The wider seat is very comfortable, even for riders who weigh a lot less. I have two Rover customers with wide seats who each weigh about 350 to 400 lbs, both happy with them for well over a year (and while not 'high-mileage' riders, each have been ridden at least a few hundred.) Both are so far, so good (no rips.)
  • Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. Are the customers who paid the high price happy with the product.

I'm having problems with one hip already. Having the seat hit me in the hip is crazy. I don't even think pads on the bars would work. It really doesn't have to do with my weight but instead the width of my hips.
  • I don't even think pads on the bars would work. It really doesn't have to do with my weight but instead the width of my hips.

I think you're exactly right. Pads on the frame might even make it worse by putting more weight right there on your hip. A pad in the middle, to make the top surface flatter, might work better, and make the frame protrude less. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the wider seat, and it won't make your center of gravity any higher, like a pad probably would.

• I found this seat pad online. It looks interesting. You can hold it in place by putting a strap through the handles. The price is right.
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/508935-wondergel-fold-n-go-seat-cushion.html
  • I found this seat pad online. It looks interesting. You can hold it in place by putting a strap through the handles. The price is right.
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/508935-wondergel-fold-n-go-seat-cushion.html

I'm going to suggest that cushion is going to be hot.
  • No, it has vertical honeycomb holes in the pad. Besides, winter is coming and warmer might be a good thing. It would keep me from having to spend $200 on a new wide Terra Trike seat for about 6 month if my current seat cover holds up.
  • I had the same problem, side seat rails hurt my hips. I solved the problem by inserting a 1" x 14" x 12" black closed cell foam between the upper and lower seat covers. This make the seat a lot firmer, if it's to firm after riding awhile I can take the foam out and slide it into the back rest where it's hardly noticeable. The foam cost under $10.
  • I used a wheelchair cushion. $23 from Amazon, IIRC. However, once I raised the seat back by one notch (putting it in the 3rd from the lowest setting) AND replaced that standard Rover mesh with the lighter padded mesh, I haven't had my thigh cutting or hip issue and stopped using the pad.

That being said, my hip never was too much of an issue. I imagine @Florida_bound is having more of an issue than I did.
  • Yes I am. Now that my knees are working much better, I get pain in the top front of my left leg. I can only assume it's from the hip. It only happens when I am mostly standing but not fully upright.

I thought maybe the seat was causing this problem.