Summer is Over

Comments

• Is that a battery powered heating pad on your seat? :-)
  • I'm shivering just looking at it. Too any bad memories.
  • How was the traction? Maybe carry some FL beach sand with u to throw down... :|
  • Rode again today as it was the first dry day in awhile. 46 out. Little wind but still cold on the face. Tried a painters mask and my wife’s Mask. Both still fogged
    up my eyewear. Wore Ice Armor mittens. Fingers were fine but face and feet suffered. Toe warmers next time. Not sure what to try for the face.
  • Wow, it was that low here in Florida both yesterday and this morning. They are predicting highs in the lows 70s today so I'm going to ride this afternoon.

When the glasses fog up, it's too cold to ride!
  • Nah. Going to try the shaving cream trick for bathroom mirrors on the glasses.
  • BTW, quit sending that cold air down here. We don't want it!
  • Nordth wind. Ah, fall is here. Gotta bake my applebread with Stevia this afternoon. Mmmmm
  • I waited until 2pm to ride and it was really dangerous. There are so many more cars on the road than in the 9-11am time frame. I'll have to either buy a great thermal suit so I can ride in the mornings or only ride the recumbent bike at the YMCA. There is a safer route but it's a sidewalk along a 4-lane highway with no trees to block the wind. What to do?
  • As long as there are no snowbanks go for it! Be there in a couple of weeks. rain and snow now three days running YUCK!
  • I love our nordth path locally. Trees. Deer. Turkeys. Maybe a Sasquatch in a tree watching us go by. A half to sometimes a mile in between roads. In northern Michigan one path was real close to the highway. Noisy. Give me the tranquil quiet of the woods.
  • woke up to fresh snow, moving the Zoomer indoors and onto the trainer.
  • I just could t make myself ride today. Spittin’ rain n snow. I will tomorrow. A couple of days next week look good too. About 39 here today. We went and picked up driftwood instead. :/
  • Finn, how often do you encounter black ice and does it cause you to lose control? It caused me to fall a few times.
  • I was looking for something else when I found this face cover. Do you think it would work for riding?
    https://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/shaf-leather-face-mask-w--micro-fleece-lining.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=5&from=fn
  • We just started riding these trikes in May. And I never had a computer on any DF’s before. We have diff masks but they all seem to fog up the eyewear. She was so warm with hers she started to get sleepy, so she removed it. Hmmmm.....
  • Vickie is now cold natured after her illness and doesn't work as hard when riding as I do. I'm looking for cold weather apparel that will keep her in the stoker seat. The tandem gets poor traction as a single. Your thoughts? Snowmobile suit?
  • Got ten miles in ahead of the rain late today. Glasses did not fog up after a treatment of shaving cream. Was inhaling cold air around the mask edges. Going to keep looking...mid 40’s again this afternoon. Only saw one other. He was bundled up as well.
  • @Finn59 Not to be gross, but for scuba diving masks we always just spit into the mask and rub it around the inside glass, then a quick rinse. Perhaps cheaper than the shaving cream trick?
  • True. Still looking at a new mask. Figuring two more days riding to reach my mileage. Then hanging them up til spring.......maybe. :)
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    True. Still looking at a new mask. Figuring two more days riding to reach my mileage. Then hanging them up til spring.......maybe. :)

I found a balaclava that has a small mesh section over my nose and mouth (sorry I don't know where I got it, too long ago) which kept my glasses from fogging up and kept my scalp, ears and face warm. And with my poor foot circulation I would put "Hot Hands" foot thingies in my shoes to keep my feet warm. Riding is just not fun when you're freezing. Hope this helps.

My alternative turned out to be retiring and moving to Tucson, AZ. It's gonna be 84 and sunny here today (Don't want to rub it in, but I do not like really cold weather.)
  • Sure, but August in Tucson is the definition of living inside an oven. And please don't say "it's a dry heat". There isn't a lot of moisture in my ovens when I cook, either, and stuff still manages to cook anyhow!
  • edited November 2017
    7ntfnbvv9v1v.jpg

Here's my cold winter riding solution. Direct sight line to the TV. Usually ride for half of a football, basketball or hockey game. Those tires are gone, replaced by Durano's.
  • Toe warmers in our shoes for the last few rides will work. Was looking at my Kinetic Fluid trainer today. Going to look for some accessory so I can use it with the Rover. Or I will alter it as it is two years old. Thanks for all the tips.
  • TCed- is that a derailleur? I wonder if a IGH can work on one of these? I’ll have to look at my Nexus closer.
    TCed- is that a derailleur? I wonder if a IGH can work on one of these? I’ll have to look at my Nexus closer.

Yes, Zoomer with derailleur, 3x9 on 26"rear. The trainer has a friction clutch.
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    Sure, but August in Tucson is the definition of living inside an oven. And please don't say "it's a dry heat". There isn't a lot of moisture in my ovens when I cook, either, and stuff still manages to cook anyhow!

:D Yep, you got me there! The signature of my email says, "But it's a dry heat said the skeleton to the buzzard." I stayed inside and only got outside at sun up. Thank goodness for swamp coolers and AC. ;)
  • Whatsa swamp cooler? I can use the kinetic fluid trainer if I block the front wheels from rolling fwd. and just set read tire on roller. May now work as intended.
  • May NOT work as intended... :/
    Whatsa swamp cooler?

"Swamp cooler" is the nickname for the evaporative cooler. A common one looks like a large metal cube. The sides consist of louvered metal frames containing some sort of fiber material commonly called a cooler pad. A small circulating pump constantly pumps water down through the frames to saturate these pads. A large squirrel cage fan pulls air through the pads from the outside air. The air is cooled by the evaporation of the water in the saturated pads as the fan draws in the outside air and pushes it into the dwelling.

These coolers are relatively simple, efficient and more economical to operate than a refrigeration system. However, they only work well in an area of low humidity like here in Southern Arizona. They've been used here for many decades. I remember them from the 1950s when I was growing up.

This link is to a common model at Home Depot:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Cooler-4900-CFM-Down-Draft-Roof-Evaporative-Cooler-for-1800-sq-ft-Motor-Not-Included-4001-DD/100150616