Delivery thursday

2»

Comments

• Heresy alert. Wife''s 20 year old recumbent wheels are done. Rear hub is Sachs 5 speed pentasport IG with coaster brake. Front is new Sturmey Archer drum brake hub. Love drum brakes. Rims Sun Rynolites. DT spokes x3. Tires are Big Apples. Hands are tired from truing wheels. Park spoke tension tool is a godsend.
    By the way, when I took the old 451mm front tire off the rubber rim strip was shredded. Luckily there were no spokes protruding thru the nipples. At jqaxdmur3hei.jpeg
    least 8 of them had no protection. Velox cloth rim tape is the only rim protection I will use.
  • nice heresy! lucky wife.

as i found out, rubber rots. new or used, velox on the bottom, rimstrip over it along with schwalbe av-7 tubes.

re previous: blue loctite [242] on the rodends kept the jamnuts from loosening on the tierod. good for seatbolts as well.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    nice heresy! lucky wife.

as i found out, rubber rots. new or used, velox on the bottom, rimstrip over it along with schwalbe av-7 tubes.

re previous: blue loctite [242] on the rodends kept the jamnuts from loosening on the tierod. good for seatbolts as well.

cross threading works good too ! :)
  • I like the locktite idea. Will have to do that tomorrow.
  • TT needs a separate category of all these little tweeks like blue loctite, Velox rim tape etc. Etc. Etc.
  • Nice comfy seat! I tried riding one of those but could not keep my balance on turns. It just felt weird.
  • There is a fine line between too inflated where you become disconnected from the seat and not enough inflation and feel everything. I actually need to modify the pad, it needs to be deeper front to back and I need to add a layer of 1/2" thick foam under the airpad. I have used sleeping bag foam in the past.
  • @Florida_bound if you were already welding, I'd have gone with vertical handlebars
  • Yeah, I kind of wish I had. The main problem I had with the stock handlebars was the way the handle are positioned on the pole and their height with 24" wheels. If I moved them out to make more leg room, I could not reach the handles. If I moved them in, I couldn't turn because the handles hit my legs
  • I just installed a Travel Agent brake device on one of the brake levers as an experiment. The TA is a brake cable noodle replacement for vbrakes. It can be set up 1-1 as a pulley or about 1-2 to allow road brake handles to operate vbrakes which have long cable pulls. I had a noodle on the brake handle and it was slightly less intrusive than just the brake cable. However the Travel Agent cuts about 1" intrusion into the pedaling thigh space. I have an order in for a 2nd TA to be installed on the other brake handle. Price is about $22 each but one can find them for about $10 on EBAY.
  • mrbill5 wrote: »
    I just installed a Travel Agent brake device on one of the brake levers as an experiment. The TA is a brake cable noodle replacement for vbrakes. It can be set up 1-1 as a pulley or about 1-2 to allow road brake handles to operate vbrakes which have long cable pulls. I had a noodle on the brake handle and it was slightly less intrusive than just the brake cable. However the Travel Agent cuts about 1" intrusion into the pedaling thigh space. I have an order in for a 2nd TA to be installed on the other brake handle. Price is about $22 each but one can find them for about $10 on EBAY.

44d3mg7d69xd.jpg
  • I added MTB bars (those add-on things you usually see at the end of DF bike bars) mounted on the horizontal part of the handlebars. This created vertical handles for me to hold.

I also moved the brakes to them, so now the brake cables go straight down and not inwards towards my thighs. If I had gotten purely straight MTB bars, I supposed I could have moved my shifters to them as well.
  • Idahotrailizard needs to see this.
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    I added MTB bars (those add-on things you usually see at the end of DF bike bars) mounted on the horizontal part of the handlebars. This created vertical handles for me to hold.

I also moved the brakes to them, so now the brake cables go straight down and not inwards towards my thighs. If I had gotten purely straight MTB bars, I supposed I could have moved my shifters to them as well.

I would love to see a picture. My thumb shifters would not work with vertical handlebars but I still have the barcon shifter bodies and could go back to them.
  • Download the pic and you can zoom in with pretty good clarity
    Download the pic and you can zoom in with pretty good clarity

You have to constantly shift your hand position between the brake lever and then down to the shifter ? Do you get enough leverage to steer the trike when you have your hands on the brake add on bars?
    Download the pic and you can zoom in with pretty good
    looks like a 12 point buck with all those antlers
  • It works just fine. Plenty of leverage, and while it's slightly annoying to have to move my hand to shift, it hasn't been that bad at all. Like I said, if I can find some inexpensive vertical MTB bars without a bend in them, I will replace what I have and move the shifters up onto them with the brakes.
  • @TCEd I love the versa bars, because they can be angled outwards over the tires and my mirrors are mounted there. It's the only way that mirrors can see around my fat belly. Any closer in and my body blocks. Any closer to me, or lower (i.e. in the horizontal handlebars) and I can't see them because they're in my bifocal range. So the 12 point buck solution works well for me.
    @TCEd I love the versa bars, because they can be angled outwards over the tires and my mirrors are mounted there. It's the only way that mirrors can see around my fat belly. Any closer in and my body blocks. Any closer to me, or lower (i.e. in the horizontal handlebars) and I can't see them because they're in my bifocal range. So the 12 point buck solution works well for me.

I fully understand, just having fun during deer hunting season.