Rack I built

Here’s the rack I built from a section of steel below and aluminum channel on top. Alum is 2”. Tires are 1.75 wide and just drop in. Square u-bolts hold alum to steel.

Comments

• I lock brakes and put a ratchet strap over the seat and around the rack below. Another picture of me after a 20 mile ride
  • Sad day. Hit the 700 mile mark and thinking we are done outside til spring. So 6 months of riding, it was fun. No deer out tonight, imagine that. Our two trikes at the midpoint. Empty cause nature called... :D
  • I like the rack!
  • Real simple. Low to the ground. One can put front tires in tracks and lift the back and walk it on. No lifting of entire Trike.
  • I like your trike rack as lifting mine on the Alpaca Carrier is getting harder all the time. I think I keep adding weight to the trike.

I'm considering one of those flat rear racks where I could roll the trike on but I want to be able to lift the front wheels and boom up. That way the entire trike will fit behind my Escape and I would be able to see it when backing up. I considered a pickup or larger SUV but I don't want to give up the 32 mpg I get with my hybrid and it only has 72K miles on it. It could last me another 5 years.
  • I bought a rack from Harbor Freight but it was not wide enough. Returned it.
    Others altered theirs. Seen on you tube videos. Had to put a large sunflower
    seed bag over crank area as it was behind van’s tire and getting mud thrown on it. Dirt road heading to northern bike path got muddy after rains. Vicki’s Trike rides inside her van out of the weather.
  • Yeah, I saw that most are only 24" wide but I could put it on back tire first then add bars to the ramp, which would fold up, to hold the front wheels. The only issue is whether it would hit my car. I would have to put a rack on the back of the car to see how the trike would be positioned on it.
  • I didn’t wait for a local shop to weld one up for me. A week went by and nothing. I cancelled that order. I had the metal laying around. Had to by the three square C-clamps. Seems my F150 and her Ford Windstar have diff hitch tubes. Holes for the pin are at diff distances from the edge. We use a cable lock around rack and lock it to loops where a safety chain would hand. Doesn’t fold up. Sticks out the width of the front tires, 3’. A few locals have commented on it. Simple to build, low to ground. Steep drives it scrapes when on her van. F150 sits higher.
  • Finn59, would you mind posting a couple photos of the rack without the trike on it?
  • Yup. I am going to remove it from her van soon. We r done riding outdoors.
  • Steel square tube below. Aluminum channel above.
  • Well it happened. Someone backed into the carrier and the u-bolt held, 5/16”, but the thinner U-channel failed. Aluminum bent around hole area and distorted. Luckily I have another pce of alum the same length. The U-bolt did show a little bending. It was a 2 1/8”
    throat opening. I stopped after our ride and picked up a 2” opening U-bolt. It is a tight fit. Others being larger meant they were mounted offset a touch to keep them tight to the 2” square tube.
    Should I beef up the channel alum? I can cut more alum strips. Don’t know who had parked next to me. Methinks they turned too sharp and hit it. No note on our van. The lot had many cars
    today. We had to park between cars. Normally we park at the last spot. Lot holds maybe 7. We will park across lot in grass from now on. Or take rack off van.
  • I was afraid of me backing it up into another car. Never thought about them backing into me. I guarantee you they see my Alpaca Carrier. It's massive!
  • Yup. I have found the alum pieces twisted as if walked into. This was really whacked, we could see it as we rode up. It still held my Rover for the ride home. Going to repair it. Just wondering if I should beef it up with more metal inside the channel track. Beef it up to damage knees and vehicles easier. Wish I had an idea to make it pivot to vertical while not in use. Any ideas/sketches???
  • I fixed the rack tonight. Was wondering
    if channel material was made of steel? It would be heavier but more durable.
  • Do you have some way to mount fluorescent poles on the outer corners of the rack? That would help you and others to see it. I know the have these for driveways. I'm not sure how you could mount them on the rack.
  • I thought of that too. Been thinking of getting two metal pces welded together at a right angle. They would fit inside the square tubing. When we r out riding, I would pull the rack out, insert
    the “L”, then slide the rack down on the vertical part, up and out of the way of even the closest tailgator. :)
  • Regular flag poles for 2-wheelers have a metal piece that attaches to the rear axel. You could problem just bolt them on your rack somehow. The fluorescent poles ae usually sold at hardware stores.
  • If I add those I might not be able to roll Trike on the rack. We didn’t ride today. Too windy and cold. Will try tomorrow, and try the new channel pce. Thanks for that idea. Think sn@w. B)
  • 70s here all week. Going to an organized bike ride Saturday. I've left snow in the rear view mirror!
  • Hey Finn, if you want to modify your rack to a folding one, find a retailer that sells folding hitch mounted platforms. I would try Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. You can get an idea of how to modify yours from a working design. You could even modify a folding platform frame with your existing channel pieces. I'm not sure of the price of these, but I have seen them folded up on the back of a few vehicles in my travels. With some luck, you could even find one used on Craigslist or a similar site. That's where I bought the parts for my home built rack.
  • I have a Masterlock carrier for df’s. But it goes to a tube design up above the square stock. Thought about that design. It does unpin to lay down. That
    won’t work. I’ve got all winter to work on it. Thanks for the idea.
  • Someone is selling the TT roof mounting trike solution for $75, if anyone is lamenting not purchasing one at the TT Black Friday Sale.
  • This the one I built. It started out as a Home Depot Curt folding rack. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-500-lbs-Capacity-Bolt-Together-Aluminum-Cargo-Carrier-with-2-in-Folding-Shank-18100/205631477). I added the side "L" aluminum channels to hold the wheels. I use some nylon straps from Harbor freight to hold the front wheels and an adjustable tie-down strap from Harbor Freight to hold the rear wheeekrmeprbamjb.png
    v1sup2uc9kzo.png
    4yqtkw5yzdb8.png
    l in place.
  • The bars for the front tires are bolted, not welded? Do you plan to weld them later? Do you check them occasionally for tightness?

That's a great design! I still think I want to be able to lift up the front wheels so the boom is high and not sticking out to the side.
  • Good rack. I like the wide area for tires in case you changed tire width.
    My channels are 1 3/4” so I ordered the Scwalbes at that. Would need
    a wider channel if I wanted 2 1/8 tires. Good work.
  • The bars for the front tires are bolted, not welded? Do you plan to weld them later? Do you check them occasionally for tightness?

That's a great design! I still think I want to be able to lift up the front wheels so the boom is high and not sticking out to the side.

I used nylon lock nuts and put "Shoe-Goo" on the end of the bolt threads. They will never loosen. I don't have to lift the whole trike onto the rack, just first the rear wheel and then the fronts. Not difficult to load. I can't lift the whole trike; hurts my back.
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Good rack. I like the wide area for tires in case you changed tire width.
    My channels are 1 3/4” so I ordered the Scwalbes at that. Would need
    a wider channel if I wanted 2 1/8 tires. Good work.

Thank you for your kind comment.