Waiting for Gran Tourismo

I special ordered a Gran Tourismo on Sept. 18th. I ordered from Penn Cycle in Minneapolis . I am still waiting for delivery.

Comments

• Last year when we (wife and I) ordered our two Sportsters through Spin Bike shop in Lansing, MI, we were told that it would be approximately three weeks before delivery. Three weeks later, they arrived and we took delivery a few days later following dealer prep. So, I am assuming that is about normal.
  • I went to my TT dealer two weeks ago on a Friday to test ride a Gran Tourismo but he had none in stock. He immediately called TT and ordered an X16 and an X20. Both trikes were at his shop the following Wednesday, the X20 was assembled on Thursday and I test rode it on Friday. That all happened in just seven days. Not sure why your trike has taken so long to be delivered unless it was a special build for you.
  • just a X16 i
  • With the exception of the limited run Purple color, they are in stock here at the factory. Not sure why you are waiting for one.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Oooooo, purple. My favorite color!
  • I actually just found out the next limited run will be a red color, then we might do another purple run - it was very popular.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Let me know when I can get an EVO in purple! (Truth be told, it'll probably be 5 more years before I replace my heavily-modded Rover, so you've got time to come out with the purple)
  • just got my tourismo
    this week.
  • Would anyone care to comment how they like riding thier Gran Tourismos so far? There is not much at all on google search for GT owners postings comments on these new trikes.

Thanks, Glenn
  • Both my wife and I rode the TT GT at Recumbent Cycle Con near Philadelphia. We both felt that the GT felt and handled more like the TT Sportster than like my Rover or her Traveler. The handling was the most notable thing to me. I rode a lot trikes from numerous manufacturers, and I felt that the GT handled as well as any of them!

When riding my Rover I find that if I don't pay attention to my form and sway side to side a bit as I pedal, my seat sways with me and makes considerable noise. During my test rides, I really tried to put the trikes through their paces. When I intentionally tried to sway from side to side on the GT everything seemed tight and quiet. Rolling resistance was on par with other TT trikes. I believe the new rear triangle frame section behind the seat has really helped to stiffen the ride. This was especially noticeable when cornering. The entire rear of the trike seems more solid compared to the Rover, or Traveler that we own.

The GT frame has some other upgrades as well, the "Y" shaped cross-member design in front of the seat made for noticeably more leg room when entering and exiting the trike. I'm 6'+, and it made a difference for me. My wife is 5'6" and she reports that it made a huge difference in the ease of entering & exiting for her.

I love the new seat design as well. My Rover came with a seat fabric that didn't breathe. One of my early upgrades was to purchase the original breathable mesh seat fabric. Once installed, I loved that my backside was no longer soaked with sweat when I finished riding each summer day. As I worked on short sprints for increasing leg strength and for weight loss, I found myself sliding around on the original mesh seat. I never had an issue with the front of the TT seat bothering my legs. That said, the new seat design (longer seat which now curves down in front) and the new mesh seat fabric design (all mesh in the center of the seat, and padding on the sides that provide minimal lumbar support, but really works well to keep one centered in the seat making it practically impossible to slide side to side), makes the seat so much more comfortable. I immediately bought the new mesh fabric.

I love most everything about the GT, but best of all I love the 24"rear wheel. Our test GT (x20) was geared such that propelling the GT forward felt even easier with the 24" wheel than when I start off in my 20" rear wheel Rover. Nancy felt it was much easier than starting out with GT compared to her 20" rear wheel Traveler. This didn't make a lot of sense to either of us as the GT's gear inch range is 24-116. Nancy's TT Traveler (i8 Sram) reports a 20-62 gear inch range, my Rover (i8 Nexus) also has a range of 20-62 gear inches. For me, perhaps the additional weight of the stock Rover (#47 i8), plus the extra weight of my electric assist (#20 motor & battery) and the bigger front sprocket of the BBSHD, can explain the difference in ease of starting off without electric assist. But the Traveler is only a pound heaver that the GT, and Nancy carries maybe 3 extra pounds of gear.

The TerraTrike Grand Tourismo is truly an awesome ride. If it had front & rear suspension it would be nearly perfect... but it would probably cost an extra $1500 more if that were the case.
  • TrikeBirder, very nice review. Thank you for posting it.

Glenn
  • Glad to help. It is the best TerraTrike I have ever ridden. And I've ridden ALL the current models. I think it is destined to be TerraTrike's best selling trike.
  • Well, its got a long way to go to surpass the Rover - Rambler even. But we all agree its a great trike and is the way the rest of the line will slowly migrate towards.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• I would be very interested in a comparison, with specifics, between the Gran Tourismo and the Sportster. My wife and I each have 2016 Sortsters (x30), purchased in July 2016. We absolutely love our Sportsters, but, would be interested in the differences/advantages of one of these over the other.
  • I would be very interested in a comparison, with specifics, between the Gran Tourismo and the Sportster. My wife and I each have 2016 Sortsters (x30), purchased in July 2016. We absolutely love our Sportsters, but, would be interested in the differences/advantages of one of these over the other.

Do your Sportsters have high or low seats ? Seems the seat was raised at some point in time.

• edited December 2017
    Not sure what high or low means as to your point of reference, but, the seat height of our Sportsters is 15", the same as the Gran Tourismo. The discontinued Tour ii was 12" and the Tandem Pro is 11". All other TT models have higher seat heights.
  • Not sure what high or low means as to your point of reference, but, the seat height of our Sportsters is 15", the same as the Gran Tourismo. The discontinued Tour ii was 12" and the Tandem Pro is 11". All other TT models have higher seat heights.

The Sportster seat once was 9.5" which may have appealed more to the performance riders. That height was similar to the Zoomer which was 8.5" until discontinued.
  • Interesting. I didn't realize the Sportster seat was, at one time, 9.5 inches.

While we really do like our Sportsters, maybe love is too strong of word, I have wondered if we wouldn't have enjoyed a more performance related model of trike. I looked at a Zoomer on the Leelanau Trail this summer and have to agree that it is a sleek looking animal. :-)

We test rode a Tandem Pro at the TT headquarters this summer and we do like the low slung feel that the 11' seat generates.
  • edited December 2017
    I'm the only Zoomer SL owner for miles around the Leelanau Trail and ride it frequently. Did you talk with me possibly ?
  • edited December 2017
    I'm not sure, but, will share what I recall of the meeting. I forget where this Zoomer rider was from, but, I do not recall that it was in the immediate Traverse City area. He was riding with a friend. I do not recall the brand of Trike the friend was on, but, it was not Terra trike. It may have been a 559. We met while taking a rest at picnic table with a large yellow Igloo drink cooler. The date was June 14th.
  • I'm not sure, but, will share what I recall of the meeting. I forget where this Zoomer rider was from, but, I do not recall that it was in the immediate Traverse City area. He was riding with a friend. I do not recall the brand of Trike the friend was on, but, it was not Terra trike. It may have been a 559. We met while taking a rest at picnic table with a large yellow Igloo drink cooler. The date was June 14th.

That wasn't me but I do know that Igloo cooler ! I usually ride alone or with my wife who rides a Trek bike. I do see a number of local trike riders on the trail and as the retired population grows in T.C. the riders will increase. Both Brick Wheels and McLain bike shops sell trikes now plus the shop in Sutton Bay. I hope you enjoy the TART Trails, we work at keeping them enjoyable to visit and ride.
    ed
  • Of the TART Trails, we have only ridden The Leelenau Trial. It is a delight.
  • I saw the GT today. It looks like such fun to ride.