Wind & Water Recharging Source

Imagine mounting this Waterlily recharger to your trike and recharging your phone while pedaling around town. And if you have one of those really windy areas this thing could really keep your phone going!

Shows it can also recharge using water power, even in the ocean. They even have a hand crank adapter in case of no water or wind power and you're up to getting some hand exercise. Of course the initial cost is going to bite, but comes with accessories and a rechargable power bank too. https://www.waterlilyturbine.com/
Unknown if one can charge phone and battery pack at the same time, but one could always use a splitter and find out.

Comments

• Does your phone go dead during a ride? I have music going to my speaker and track my route on the fitness app for an hour and 15 minute ride and I hardly lose any battery. What else is running on your phone? Are you getting notifications from apps? If so, turn them off. You don't want to stop and read them so why have them come through killing the battery?
  • The post wasn't about my phone, apps, or whatever. Was about an alternative charging solution that was recently introduced. I decided to share the idea in case others were interested.
  • Sorry! Had to leave and didn't have time to watch it.
  • Yet it took you longer than 15 seconds to type out the first reply. The video was only 14 seconds long...
  • Skin getting a bit thin ?
  • That's a very creative device for sure and only $159. Then throw in another $20 for the hand crank. I can see where a fugitive, back country hiker, special OPs or a survivalist could use one of these. Very, very interesting...
  • TCEd wrote: »
    Skin getting a bit thin ?
    Why comment on something you have no idea what is was about? Seems rather redonculous.
    That's a very creative device for sure and only $159. Then throw in another $20 for the hand crank. I can see where a fugitive, back country hiker, special OPs or a survivalist could use one of these. Very, very interesting...
    The creators commented it could be used while bicycling. If it had some sort of universal mount with a tail it might be useful, day or night in any any weather - maybe. It's an option I suppose.
  • I think I first saw this device over a year ago, and the review I read said that it really didn't put out a lot of power. Now if I could only remember where the review was, so I could post a link . . . . Sorry.
  • That is interesting, If you were doing long distance tour it might be handy, but trying to figure a place to mount it on a bike or trike without it being in the way and clear path in front of it would be the challenge. I think it would be a little to bulky for a bike or a trike.
  • How did those wagon trains get by without the internet and cell phones ?
  • Maybe smoke signals?
  • null
    That was the other guys
  • TCEd wrote: »
    How did those wagon trains get by without the internet and cell phones ?

Enlighten us what a wagon train has to do with recumbent trikes or alternative power sources that can be used on such.
  • well, only since enlightenment was requested - this crittur has as much application to a trike as it does to a conestoga wagon. ah means, the horses would laugh at such a sight, not to mention the folks making with the smoke signals.

mounting a $160 wind-turbine on a trike? pretty good example of non-appropriate charging solution. still, if you can pedal the trike at 10 mph for 8 hours, guess this revision of old-timey tech would recharge a cellphone per mfg spec.

in the good old days - before any current trike riders were born - https://www.pipercubforum.com/genfront.jpg

just point out that a $25 bottle generator - no need for a handcrank on slow-speed days - would be more practical for human-powered vehicle battery charging.
  • fact is, every time i get a good idea, i check the web and sure enough, someone else done done it ahead of me.

you want to pedal and charge a cellphone?
    https://makezine.com/projects/pedal-power-phone-charger/
  • edited December 2017
    Just having some fun with our dependency on cell phones and associated stuff.
  • edited December 2017
    I use a SunTactics solar panel. Works way better than expected, and they've managed to get more energy out of them recently. Also like that SunTactics has a veteran's discount + 5 year warranty. The competition barely has a 1 year warranty.
    Yet it needs the sun or lightly cloudy days to be of any benefit.

There's that hydrogen tablet recharger thing still floating around. Same price range as the wind turbine or a solar panel, although requires water & fuel cells.
    https://www.amazon.com/myFC-PowerTrekk-Fuel-Cell-Charger/dp/B00CNB3OUW