Winter Weather

Who's crazy idea was it to send rain and 40 degrees to Florida? It's greatly affecting my ability to ride and my knees are killing me. We may get a hard freeze tonight which will destroy the camillias I planted a few weeks ago.

I moved away from winter for a reason. Don't bring it down here!

Comments

• But Climate Change is just a hoax right?
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Welcome to da club. 40 degrees and we go riding! :)
  • @Chonk isn't FL supposed to be under water by now?
  • Give it a few more years, you will be able to kayak around Spaceship Earth
    No charge for yak parking.
  • One of the reasons I moved to the highest elevation in Florida is because parts of it flood with every rain. And, by the way, it rains daily during the summer. There are canals to carry the water away but they also allow gators to travel through neighborhoods. Last week they caught a 12 footer within a mile of my old home.

Climate change is real. Some of it is caused naturally but most is due to human abuse of natural resources. It will continue to get worse until lack of clean water kills us all. Nothing to worry about!
  • Then perhaps my retirement idea of buying an Amel 55' sailboat to sail around the world isn't such a bad idea! Or Maybe a Majestic 530 Catamaran - more stable, possibly easier to sail. Certainly more room to bring a trike :-)
  • Desalinization machine onboard perhaps...
  • Can sympathize about the colder weather. Had a bug all last month when it was in the 40's. Now when I can ride it is 10° to 30° F - bitter cold, no snow. The wind kills the joy of riding. Enjoy your 40's, Florida! :D
  • We're in Mexico. Snow on driveway. Think we'll stay.
  • Looks like 6” overnight. I read you can put zip ties around the rim/tire as an
    impromtu chain for these conditions. Just need a Santa suit...
  • Highly doubt zip ties would make much of a difference for traction. Spaced lugs and/or ice spikes under low speeds, since trikes do not have as much weight on them compared to vehicles. Spiked tires however are quite expensive.

Have seen a few trikes swerve dangerously (videos) from going too fast.
  • Hey Finn59, thanks for putting decals on your windows to help cut down on bird-window collisions.
  • Those r for hummerz that are conviently rare now. Think I scared the
    stragglers south with the snowblower this am. I don’t see them in the warm months, just the transients.
  • I used to have spikes that would clip on my shoes for walking on ice. They need to make the same thing for bikes.
  • I have em for my Mickey Mouse boots. They are actually used on ice racing motocross bikes. Screw right in to the rubber. Lose a few every ice fishing trip. Didn’t fish last winter as ice thickness never reached a foot. That I feel safe on. Just have to talk the Gran
    Floridian UP here to catch some perch.
  • Pictures to warm us up. Up at uncle’s cabin a couple springs ago. Just have to sit real still...
  • Snow didn't make it down to PCB, Fl, last night, but somebody forgot to close the door in Rainy River, ON so it was windy and cold here, but enough layers and two stops at McDs for sustenance and I made my 50+ kms. Trails were pretty empty except for my friend with the three Huskies... spring in their step and noses into the wind...wanted to stop and hitch them up to Rover II, but one rabbit on the path and I'd still be fighting my way out of the brush. Expected to see a pack of Timber Wolves break out of the forest around every bend. Man, it was a great ride!
    Not a sign of a bikini on the Beach
    2469f0v6gcx0.jpg
  • Highly doubt zip ties would make much of a difference for traction. Spaced lugs and/or ice spikes under low speeds, since trikes do not have as much weight on them compared to vehicles. Spiked tires however are quite expensive.

When I had my homemade trike years ago i used to put a knobby Mt bike tire on the rear and knobby bmx tires up front for winter riding. Worked well for traction. Problem I ran into was if it snowed any more than 3 to 4 inches the front tires resisted going thru the snow and stopped in my tracks. Guess I should have put skinny front tires up front in order to slice thru the snow.
  • Hey Finn59, thanks for putting decals on your windows to help cut down on bird-window collisions.

I have bird decals on my diningroom windows which look out on the birdbath. The birds still did monthly crashing into the windows. So now we leave the screens in those windows year round. Still get birds hitting the screens with a bong but at least they do not break their necks when the screens were not in place.
  • Took the seed/suet feeders down after a few collisions with the glass. Suet feeder has the screen underneath so birds had to invert to get to it. Starlings learned by watching others. They were scaring others away so I moved feeders to the back yard. Hang a basin style hummingbird feeder on porch from mid April thru October. Still waiting for some to stay all season. If they ARE, then they are feeding when I am not around.
  • Squirrelpie0, it is way too cold to be out riding. How many layers did you have on? We had a little snow. Here's a picture.r1wagomswd66.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to be outside way too much. First, my new dog escaped the fenced yard and I searched the neighborhood calling him.

Then, I had to put a second lock on the gates to keep him from getting out. He is a rescue and I think he was abused. He knew he did wrong and won't come near me because he thinks I will hit him. I'm just trying to keep him from escaping again.

• Layers. Hoodie under helmet. Wind jacket and pants on top of all. Double gloves. Hands cold at first. Warmed up and was fine. Head winds no prob w eassist. Tail wind could really fly. Out all morning
  • 3.25 inches of snow with a 24 degree low in normally sub-tropic Tuscaloosa AL. I, too have been waylaid by respiratory issues during some beautiful weather. Squirrelpie0 gives me hope I can get back on the roads shortly without breaking the bank on specialized winter biking gear.
    One issue has been that the past 6 trips I've been letting the motor work to pull the battery down enough to discharge for breaking in purposes. That meant less work for me and stoker so we didn't warm up as much. Still thinking about moving my chainwheel back down from the 52t sent with BBSHD. Bought a really pretty 30t from Luna but haven't felt like installing it.
    I promised someone a list of the components installed. Hope I can compile that next week.
  • mrbill5 wrote: »
    Highly doubt zip ties would make much of a difference for traction. Spaced lugs and/or ice spikes under low speeds, since trikes do not have as much weight on them compared to vehicles. Spiked tires however are quite expensive.

When I had my homemade trike years ago i used to put a knobby Mt bike tire on the rear and knobby bmx tires up front for winter riding. Worked well for traction. Problem I ran into was if it snowed any more than 3 to 4 inches the front tires resisted going thru the snow and stopped in my tracks. Guess I should have put skinny front tires up front in order to slice thru the snow.

Did you try mini-skiis up front? /ducks

We're supposed to warm up to almost 50° F be next weekend. Snow down here in the valley is not expected till the new year. Last winter sure put the scare into the locals!
  • There used to be a video on youtube that had a trike with skis on it. The guy was riding in the snow... Spinning what we used to call broedies. I think there was another one where a guy was speeding down a hill, taking a pretty hefty turn at the bottom, and not wiping out.

I thought it was a pretty good idea. Being from ND originally I was thinking it might be a way to do a little bit of riding, if they had real bike trails there... (Which they do in some towns, just not the one I lived in.)
  • mrbill5 wrote: »
    Highly doubt zip ties would make much of a difference for traction. Spaced lugs and/or ice spikes under low speeds, since trikes do not have as much weight on them compared to vehicles. Spiked tires however are quite expensive.

Did you try mini-skiis up front? /ducks

We're supposed to warm up to almost 50° F be next weekend. Snow down here in the valley is not expected till the new year. Last winter sure put the scare into the locals!

If you put skis up front you have no wheels, nobrakes.
  • Put one on the rear wheel or fix up a boat anchor! Or just hit the snowbank
  • Strap a couple of boards to the crossbar and grab hold to brake/brake steer.
  • My iceboat goes over 65mph and has no brakes. You just need a wide open area to operate :)