Carrier bag/ box organizer

Ok, I need some ideas to split up and organize a handlebar box that I have strapped to the back of the seat. Interior size is 9" wide, 6" deep, 6" front to back. I am going to carry a spare inner tube, various small plastic bags with tools in them all the time and when I ride I will have my cell phone, house keys and wallet. The zip nylon top has a worthless netting on the inside and cannot be closed with everything sliding right out. Any clever solutions of dividing this space would be highly appreciated. dd5p5qd4hbw6.jpg

Comments

• Would like to come up with a soft holder for the cell phone possibly attached to a side and something to keep my wallet and keys together. Etc.
  • Have you ever seen the plastic canvas sheets with holes in them that crafters use to make items? You can cut them to the size you want then connect the sides with yarn or thread. Make sure to smooth the top of each container so you don't scratch your hand every time you reach in.

Here's a sample of what you can make with them. You don't have to stitch yarn on the sides. Just use it to sew the sides together.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Herrschners-Sunflower-Beauty-Tissue-Box-Cover-Plastic-Canvas-Kit/381570479
  • Cool. I like that. I found some zippered fabric bags on Amazon that can be sewn in place on a side or two and possibly on the top flap and they could hold the phone,wallet and keys. I will have to check the plastic canvas material. We have a Hobby Lobby 1 mile away and they should have that.
  • It depends how you want things organized in there. Those will work also. I put my U Lock, strap lock, some portable lights, and flat repair items in my bag on the rack. I bought a small plastic container to hold the lights because I didn't want them broken. I need another for the flat repair items. Both will fit inside the U Lock.

I see you found an inexpensive lift for the trike. Plastic buckets work great! I have used similar items at times. Whatever works for you!
  • Was considering making a repair rack out of pvc tubing in order to suspend the wheels. However the front cross piece is a bugger to get at. And since the frame is square tubing AND the pvc tubing round and the buckets were free..............
  • That white bucket looks familiar. I used one with my TT Rambler GT. It works.

In the bag I would carry a spare tube, a patch kit (tiny), a pair of tire levers and a CO2 inflation device with a couple of cartridges (with sleeves to prevent frostbite). I'd also carry a couple of quick links and a chain breaker (these are small and fixing a chain is fairly easy; learn how to do it too). And definitely a couple of pairs of latex gloves and a few packaged towelettes.

Also carry a good quality multi-tool (hex wrenches; some have a chain breaker as well) because mirrors come loose. If your tube valves are Prestas (skinny) use an adapter for Schrader valves just in case (I use them on all three of my wheels; they only cost a buck a piece).

Carry a few long cable ties (zip ties) as they curve neatly around the inside of a bag (for you in that netting in the lid). You never know when you might need one.

There is a very bright, compact LED light called a "Nebo Larry C". It's inexpensive and looks like a ballpoint pen on steroids.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=larry+light&rh=i:aps,k:larry+light

For the cell phone I carry an extra power cell which I hook to my cell phone since my rides last four or more hours and I am running Strava to track my rides. Extra power is very, very good.

I also carry a couple of flat, elastic/Velcro straps in case I want to carry something on the outside of the bag like a rolled up windbreaker. And since my bag has a carrying handle I have two spare S-biners to carry such things as a locking cable or a tiny zipper bag with gloves, windbreaker, etc.)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=s-biner&sprefix=s-,aps,225&crid=1Y0ABUKX6S1M9

There's my two cents worth, well maybe a quarter's worth, shucks, a dollar two ninety-eight.

One comment from the photo; I'd carry a multitool rather than baggies of small tools. It's too easy to lose an individual tool especially if you're out and about and drop one in leaves or gunk along a trail. I've been there and done that! (PS Fingers don't hold small tools well when they're pudgy, cold and trying to hold a flashlight as well.)

And, as a bit of advice to anyone riding a trike, learn to be as independent as possible. I can walk a bike if necessary, but walking a trike is a b@#$%.

• I'll photograph my tools sometime. Not as extensive as your list but it is what I have carried for the last 20 years. Used to carry a little baggie with change to make phone calls. Never needed it and boy those coins sure got tarnished over the years. I have a Zefal frame pump tied to the seat back as my tire pumping up tool. Still works, used it maybe 3 times over 20 years. I had a tire patching kit but I find the glue goes bad over time from lack of usage. I need to make a list of my meds and put it in my wallet.
  • Added med list to wallet. Don't leave home without it.. I ordered the 3 bags from Amazon. The one should hold all my tools, another one my wallet, keys. Third one cell phone. Still have to look into the plastic needlepoint sheets. Getting Xmas gifts ready for shipping. Plus cookie baking. Box will have to wait till next week. Foto is of my tools.if I still had my Easy Racer with the drum brake hub I would have added 2 adjustable wrenches to service the axle securing nuts.36du1bkvz8s2.jpeg
  • GM Mr Bill, it's 33 F this morning here in sunny Tucson. I won't be riding today, but rather reading this forum instead. :)

Just had a thought about your comment on meds. For years I've been wearing a RoadID bracelet and not carrying my wallet. The bracelet has all my contact info, meds and even documents (living will, photos of trike, etc) available to first responders should they have to scrape me up off the pavement. They have different kinds of IDs available. I especially wear mine all the time because of a medical condition. I don't get anything for recommending them. I just like them. RoadID.com <3
  • I wear a medicalert necklace 24/7 which states about my medical device. My med info is not life or death in nature, just if I go to a doctor outside the "system." I needed to know my meds last week for a health insurance policy .
  • I put med info and contact info in my cell phone. I also have a folio case for my phone and carry my driver's license and medical insurance card. I once went on a trip without the insurance card and hurt my back. I couldn't go get help so I carry with me at all times now.
  • Got done shoveling snow so I thought I would add the 3 zipper bags from Amazon. They sewed in place like they were custom made for the handlebar bag. Top flap has the mid sized bag, that will hold cell phone, wallet, keys. Large black bag tools, small black bag overflow items. Going to leave rest of the space open for now, need to see what I carry when I start riding again next spring. gcy4ftauthfz.jpeg
  • GM Mr Bill, it's 33 F this morning here in sunny Tucson. I won't be riding today, but rather reading this forum instead. :)

Just had a thought about your comment on meds. For years I've been wearing a RoadID bracelet and not carrying my wallet. The bracelet has all my contact info, meds and even documents (living will, photos of trike, etc) available to first responders should they have to scrape me up off the pavement. They have different kinds of IDs available. I especially wear mine all the time because of a medical condition. I don't get anything for recommending them. I just like them. RoadID.com <3

Ordered Road ID dog tag this morning. Since I wear a medical alert necklace all the time I plan to wear the Road ID dog tag when I am riding or taking long walks. Thanks for the link.
  • Mrbill5, you are most welcome. I've been wearing my RoadID bracelet now for a good three years. It's the only ID I carry when I'm riding and if they scrape me off the pavement and I'm unconscious the RoadID is there to talk for me. I like that.
  • It's supposed to get into the low 60s today so I might be able to get out and ride. It depends on how hard the wind is blowing.
  • You're killin me Miss Florida... it was 18 degrees when I went out today. :#
  • Sorry! It was a beautiful sunny day but I instead had to work on my fence gates. First, my dog was crawling up the back of them and escaping. Then yesterday I found one wide open (no idea how that happened). So, I bought a second latch and padlocks for both gates. I want to get a doggy door and can't do that until I know the dog is secure in the fence.

Puppies are a lot of work but rescue dogs have their own set of issues!
  • Mother nature just dumped 10" of snow on my town and a temp of 21 degrees. @Florida_bound I am jealous!
  • 6" snow saturday, 2" snow last night. 30f high, Friday into Saturday going down to low teens. However back to norm temp of 25f to 40f daily. Just glad it is not freezing rain, cannot shovel that stuff.
  • I'm getting in some quality snowblower time.
  • At least you're still getting exercise!
  • 1 deg outside today. Brrrrrr
  • As soon as it warms up a bit (Tucson supposed to be 80 today) I'm going to install the mounting brackets (TerraCycle) for a new Arkel side bag (marketed as a handlebar bag). I saw it being used by Matt Galat on his trike (JaYoe.com). I've also replaced my present trunk bag with an Arkel trunk bag which will carry stuff I don't often use: repair stuff, first aid stuff, emergency stuff, etc.

I'm tired of keeping my cell phone in the trunk where I can only access it if I stop and get off the trike. Only then can I check for messages or email and, forget taking any photos along the way. Finding a way to hang the phone on a mount, just a pain in the butt.

With the side bag I can access the phone, have my snacks, carry a camera, extra power cells, etc in a weatherproof enclosure that's easily detachable and has a shoulder strap. When I get things organized I'll report how it's working out.
  • If you had an IPhone and an Apple watch, you could easily check your messages or reply while riding. I believe other brands of smart watches do the same now.

Hope the bags work for you!
  • It's a wretched 50 F with a bone chilling 7 mph wind out of the SE. I'm going to make a shakedown cruise this morning and get back before it reaches a scorching 81 F. But then again, I could be in the upper midwest. Even NW Arkansas is getting the bite in the next couple of days.

I don't mean to rub it in, but this is not typical weather for this time of year. 70 F should be the norm and I haven't ridden for some time. What I thought was a bad head cold morphed into a painful sinus infection. I'm into cycle of antibiotics and finally feeling like taking a ride.

The side bag makes the trike a lot wider and one concern I see is getting through some of the pipe entrance barriers that are designed to keep larger vehicles from accessing the MUPs. I can adjust the bag in a couple of inches closer, but that will make it harder to reach into. I'll just have to see.

I also installed the bag on the left side where my shoulder, with the bone spurs, will make it less comfortable to reach around and tug on the zippers. I may move it to the right side. Those Arkel bags are very well constructed with shielded zippers to keep out water so they're not easy to unzip. It's going to be a learning experience.
  • You can push those temps east on I-10. I really wouldn't mind.

I never thought those bags would be so wide. That's good to know. I too had problems getting through those barriers when I was in South Florida. But, they really protect the trail.
  • You can push those temps east on I-10. I really wouldn't mind.

I never thought those bags would be so wide. That's good to know. I too had problems getting through those barriers when I was in South Florida. But, they really protect the trail.

I did a 24 mile test ride and took some photos. I was actually able to get through the barriers with no problem.... luckily. I'll tweak the photos and do a blog post here in a few so you can see how it looks. I think I'm going to put the side bag on the right side so as to be away from my gimpy shoulder, but you can see what it looks like now. I can also move the bag 2 or 3 inches closer.

It's posted! https://trikesterhal.blogspot.com/2017/12/its-in-bag.html
  • Now I understand why it sticks out so far. I thought it was attached to the rear rack. That's a nice container but, if I wanted something reachable, I would have gone with the Smoky Mtn Saddle Bag. It might be too small for your needs.
  • F_b, you're correct. The Smoky Mtn "Mini" is just too tiny and doesn't appear to have weather protection while the "Max" is not convenient to reach. I wanted the capacity, weather protection, plus being able to have things within reach.

I had seen the Arkel bags in other videos and really thought they would fit my needs.

We seemed to have returned to normal weather here. It will be in the 70s, sunny and a few clouds.