Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I want to thank all of you who contributed in any way to this Forum this year. I continue to learn so much from all of you.

And, I must give a special heartfelt thank you to the four of you I feel have helped me the most throughout the year- JamesR, TCed, TrikesterHal Hal, and Elrique64. I really appreciate your individual and collective expertise, humor, stories, and wit. Thanks Guys!

...And to all a Goodnight!

Comments

• Same here! I'm always learning and almost to the point where I can give advise.

You guys up north stay warm and dry. This is going to be a nasty winter!
  • @TrikeBirder thanks, man. I hope everyone takes something positive from these forums every time they come here.

Part of being in a community like forums, is sharing knowledge, but it's also learning about the other people on the forums. Even though many of us might never get to meet face to face, I feel a friendship with all of you. We have a common interest, share our passions for it, and try to make life better for those in the community.

Yeah, we might not see things the same way. We have differences in opinion or perspective. But you find that even in the closest groups of people.

We ALL have triking in common. And that is the glue that binds us. Merry Christmas to you all, from the heart! You are the community I've come to respect and enjoy! (Even if I may get frustrated with some of you from time to time!) :)
  • Mele Kalikimaka
  • Merry Christmas! trikers and happier pedaling in 2018
  • Merry Cactus to all... Have a "Cholla" holiday season and a "Barrel" of fun! :# (Three cactus puns are enough...)
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Mele Kalikimaka

Shades of Bing Crosby! :o
  • Merry Christmas everyone and good things for 2018. As I write this we're in the eye of a winter storm watch with band of lake effect snow coming off Lake Michigan along with significant wind. A leg of lamb is in the oven and we're warm and comfortable with family members.

For me it's indoor riding on the trainer until spring and cross country skiing becomes our outdoor activity. What were riding trails have with snow and grooming been converted to skiing and fat bike trails. When ever it snows enough the groomers go out around 2 a.m. and groom appx. 30-40 miles of trail for classic and skate skiing.

For those of you that can continue riding outdoors enjoy your rides. And remember it isn't how far or how fast you go but just the plain simple act of getting out and doing something.
    ed
  • Merry Christmas to all! A balmy 12degrees here today, brrr.
    Hope you all are well and have a great 2018!
    TCEd, took me a while to convince friends that the rides were about fun, not competition.
    Slow down and experience the sights, sounds and smells of the great outdoors on every ride. Life is too short to race through without seeing what passes.
    Wife and I are looking forward to next season on our Tandem Pro.
    Thanks to all who have shared advice and experiences on here.
    Happy New Year!
  • I'll echo the comments of others in thanking you for letting a newbie pick your brains after we acquired the tandem in March. You have been more than gracious to a newcomer.
    I trailered it down to VeloCity Pro this week to have a few more tweaks while the college students are away. Mainly a 30t chain wheel from Luna.
    Hoping you've all had a Merry Christmas while mindful of the Reason ... and wishing you a healthy, prosperous, and Happy New Year.
  • God as my witness, the day I retire will be my last winter day spent north of the Mason-Dixon line. Merry Christmas everyone! See you in the south in a few years!
  • But take a snow globe with you.
  • Head on down to the Florida panhandle. No state income taxes. Reasonable sales taxes. Reasonable home prices. And, there's always access to the beach. Besides, about 75% of the people who live here are current or former DoD or federal employees. They are good people!
  • I'm certainly looking for a no income tax state. I'd love a no property tax one too (Alaska anyone? - except Alaska is cold!)
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    I'm certainly looking for a no income tax state. I'd love a no property tax one too (Alaska anyone? - except Alaska is cold!)

Cold is relative. February in Cordova is still above zero most of the time, for example... And Alaska does give a dividend if you are a resident...

On the other hand, finding a trike shop in Alaska is rather difficult. Anchorage is about the only one, and from Cordova it's a $100 to get there. ($200 round trip.) Only way is the ride a ferry or fly...
  • Nearest trike shop is 5 hours away. Sorry!

But, there are some awesome riding trails both north of Tampa and between Tampa and the east coast of Florida. Just watch out for the sink holes!
  • Relocation to a new location upon retirement and walking away from familiarity into a new world late in life requires a bunch of serious considerations.
  • As a military spouse, we were always far from family. I tried moving near family after retirement and it didn't work out. Now I'm back to the area I love. If family wants to see me, they will have to travel here!
  • As a military spouse, we were always far from family. I tried moving near family after retirement and it didn't work out. Now I'm back to the area I love. If family wants to see me, they will have to travel here!

It's been more than 10 months since I moved home to Tucson and it's been a huge adjustment. I've lived in different places over my lifetime and returned to several of those more than once. My father was a carpenter with nomadic blood, I think. :| I lived here in Tucson through my developing years and that's why I have Saguaro juice flowing in my veins. When I retired it was here that I returned.

I returned to find the only kin I have (not many and not close). Tucson had a population of 210K when I moved away the first time (1962) and now the city and its environs is over one million. Yep, it's changed a bit. The sleepy two lane street I rode my bike on is now five lanes with a speed limit of 45.

I chose to live near my old neighborhood with an emphasis on easy access to the Loop Trail System. Except for 1.5 miles of city streets I can ride quite safely without getting into the traffic. Even the major streets here are wide and have dedicated bicycle lanes which I utilize when headed for the Loop.

Florida_bound, I'm glad you're content to be where you are. Perhaps, having been rootless gives you the freedom to settle where you want. That's an advantage. I left the familiarity of twenty-five years in NW Arkansas to come home. Would I do it again? You bet your @$$ I would. And, I periodically visit that small Dairy Queen where I got a free sundae if I had all As and Bs on my report card, in second grade. :) BTW, it's still owned by the same family.
  • I grew up in St Louis but was not about to ever go back there. It's too cold in the winter. The only reason to stay in the DC area was for a job but I retired and don't need to work anymore. I was previously in the Florida panhandle for 17 so it's the closest thing to home for me. It's where my boys grew up and where most of their friends still live. Besides, 6 months of spring and fall is awesome. It might get up to 60 and sunny this weekend. If so, I'll be out cruzing with my dog!
  • We relocated from a major suburb where both of us had nearby roots and careers to a small tourism supported city in the same state. It was a move for the good for us. We have made many local friends over the years and enjoy the open forests and big lake Michigan more than the packed city. Our environment and lifestyles are much healthier. The penalty is being away from some family members.