TT University

How exactly does one go about accessing TT University. I searched to no avail.

Comments

• search instead for: terratrike university

wealth of terratrike videos if ypu search at u-tube for terratrike
  • The unfortunate part is that the videos sometimes cover doing something on a model which is not the same as the one you are working on. e.g. showing how to adjust brake pads on a BB7, when your trike has the Alhonga brakes.

I'd like to see videos down to the "here is how you replace brake pads" level for each kind of brakes TT sells (or has sold for the last 5 years).

I know it's a lot more video-making required, but it would be a great boon to all of us.
  • Heck, I bet there is a marketing angle to all this. Rather than taking staff time to create these videos (which would be great for us but perhaps expensive for TerraTrike), TT could have a contest for each component with a gift certificate for TT accessories or perhaps a discount on a new trike, or even a new trike. I bet there would be some folks who would be happy to create such videos just to have their names listed on the video, or any sort of recognition.

Perhaps we TT would create these for us if enough of us offered to pay a nominal fee for the videos on a DVD... say $20 or $30 a set? That way, if a dozen of us sign up for these in advance, TT would know they have a few hundred dollars worth of funds to pay their staff to create them.

What do you think?
  • I'll buy one.
  • There is a TerraTrike facebook page managed by T.T.
    There is another independent TerraTrike Owners facebook page with 1,600 members
    There is a Recumbent Trike Group on facebook with 5,900 members.

If you're thinking of marketing anything I'd use those F.B.pages to reach a lot more riders then here.

What I do not get is why did T.T. pull all the videos that existed from their website ? Did they get heat from the dealers wanting to get the maintenance work possibly ?
  • Heck, most LBS' use the TT Uni videos to figure out how to work on our trikes, from what I have seen!
  • As I understand from Spin Bicycle Shop, TT requires prospective dealers to pass a TT test before they will authorize them as a dealer. Maybe the videos were initially created to train dealers and owners alike. As they got more popular with owners, and TT decided to ONLY sell through dealers who could assemble, repair, and otherwise directly and physically support owners (i.e. no more sales through Utah Trikes and the like), they ported them to YouTube. I believe TT made the change to the dealer structure around 2013.
  • Think the videos disappeared 18-24 months ago. I came on board in 2015 and they were available then.
  • Know finding specifics on Alhonga brakes can be a pain, but the procedure on adjusting mechanical disk brakes is the same whether bike or trike and there are a lot of YouTubes out there that can help. RJ The Bike Guy has a great set of Videos on a lot of components that are the same bike or trike.

Whether AVid , Alhonga, or whatever, important to understand what you are trying to achieve and methods may differ for the same brake. Hope this helps.
    • First: must insure the calipers are mounted properly aligned with the rotor BB7s have adjusters for both pads and a routine to follow that is simple and accurate for aligning. Other types require use of a shim (business cards) inserted between each pad and the rotor to set approx alignment by loosening caliper mounting bolt slightly, applying brakes and then re-tightening and checking alignment.
    • Second: fine tuning pad clearance: Remember the caliper actuator arm only applies pressure to one pad. We will call it the inboard pad. When you apply the brakes it pushes the inboard pad against the inboard disk deflecting the disk towards the outboard pad. This gives you variable or feathered braking as more pressure is applied to the disk deflecting it further against the outboard pad. REMEMBER, only the inboard pad moves when you brake. The out board pad and that side of the brake caliper DO NOT move. Lengthening/shortening the actuator cable adjusts the inboard pad adjustment
    • With BB7s again they have a routine to set for each pad, simple and accurate. With Alhonga types. You have one outboard adjustment for that pad by turning a plug in or out to move the static position of the outboard pad away from or closer to the rotating disk
    So whether Avid BB7s, Alhonga, or other mechanical disk brakes, the individual procedures may differ, but the goals don't: align, adjust, fine tune.

Replacing pads is slightly different between different brakes, but again lots of YouTube videos out there

• screw the lever adjusters all the way in. loosen the cable clamp at the brake housing

loosen the brake mounting bolts. screw in the fixed pad 2 turns or so.

cable housing needs to be snug in both lever and brake housing sockets.

clamp the cable end with vise-grips, draw the cable tight. manually close the caliper actuator lever, then tighten the cable clamp.

close the brake lever. keep it closed and tighten the mounting bolts [they need loc-tite]. back and forth thing - quarter turn on one bolt, quarter turn on the other - back and forth. this sets the caliper parallel to the disk.

when tight, release the brake lever, back out the fixed-pad adjust screw so its flush with the housing.

spin the wheel, should be no ching-ching. no real diffference in the setup between zooms, winzips, tektros, alhongas or bb7.

on the alhongas, you can back out the brake housing socket for fine adjust which amount to same as the smaller red knob on the bb7s.

no shinola, folks - do this a few times and brake adjust is a 5-10 minute process per brake.

you can, for those winter-bound, follow the procedure for the bb7s at the park tool site or download the bb7 manual from sram and fiddle the night away.
  • Found the videos on you tube. Guess I just didn't look hard enough. I am redoing the brakes on my tandem, so we'll see how it goes.
  • James R has it down pat. Easy if you understand what you are trying to do and how the disk brakes work
  • James R has it down pat. Easy if you understand what you are trying to do and how the disk brakes work[/quot
    I agree, no need to reinvent the wheel, when he has it down pat. Last of my parts arrives today, got a a furnace job to finish, then to work on the trike.
  • OOps, don't know how I added to that other link.