Trikes slipped on cap

I have a ‘Undercover’ cap on my F150.
Last summer we had both Rovers on
top while towing the utility trailer with
kayaks in it. Trip to cabin went ok, 220 miles. Later that week we drove to Mackinaw City with trikes in same cap.
Shocked when we arrived to Shepler’s
lot and found the trikes had slipped back to where the rear trike was hanging off the back. I used a ratchet strap attached to eye bolts on the cap
What I am after is suggestions for a method of keeping trikes where we place them. To keep the tires from sliding on the cap surface. Thanks.
«1

Comments

  • What about adding the TT Universal carrier to the cap?
  • If the trike brakes were locked and the trikes were properly strapped the cover either flexed or the road surface was rough enough to shake things loose. Is the cap plastic or aluminum ?
    I find hard pickup caps/lids really defeats the purpose of having a pickup and the capability to haul stuff. Prefer the soft vinyl types that can be easily removed.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    If the trike brakes were locked and the trikes were properly strapped the cover either flexed or the road surface was rough enough to shake things loose. Is the cap plastic or aluminum ?
    I find hard pickup caps/lids really defeats the purpose of having a pickup and the capability to haul stuff. Prefer the soft vinyl types that can be easily removed.

    However a hardcap is more secure, especially overnight at a hotel. I haul equipment in mine.
  • It’s a hard plastic. Has ribs underneath.
    6 or 7 people can stand on it at once. We looked at kitchen rubber mats that may grab the slippery cap. Put mesh mat under tires.
  • eagleeyetv wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »
    If the trike brakes were locked and the trikes were properly strapped the cover either flexed or the road surface was rough enough to shake things loose. Is the cap plastic or aluminum ?
    I find hard pickup caps/lids really defeats the purpose of having a pickup and the capability to haul stuff. Prefer the soft vinyl types that can be easily removed.

    However a hardcap is more secure, especially overnight at a hotel. I haul equipment in mine.

    Obviously if your gear fits under the lid you're fine. This guy is carrying two trikes on top of the lid and almost lost them. Maybe, just maybe they would be better in the truck bed. That's where we hauled our bikes, trikes, kayaks, refrigerators, boat engines, lumber, trees etc. But then it was a work truck.
  • The cap is removable. I’ve never done that. Then there are the other items I have back there I’d like to keep locked up, out of sight. Easy for two of us to lift trikes up there. We put them close enough to use foam between the wheels as a buffer. The ratchet might have slipped on that one trip. I may have routed the strap differently. ??
    Wife thinks we are going up this May. It would be nice. Quiet getaway. We like to take yaks n trikes. Good exercise.
  • You could also go to Walmart and get three small kitchen mats. They are designed to put in the bottom of your sink so it doesn't get scratched when you do dishes. They would also keep the wheels in place.
  • I was also looking into a cheap solution to mount my RAT on the ARE cap which is strong and not plastic. Currently, I put it in the bed of the truck but to fit I have to remove the back wheel and drop the seat. I have no clearance to close the cap and I have a homemade bracket for the rear wheel mount to ride in to protect the derailleur. I came to the conclusion that replacing my new two DF bike hitch mount rack with one that would fit both of mine and my wifes bike (DF). I'm reluctant to pull the trigger, hoping that my wife will come to her senses and join us with three wheels. A hitch rack would be the best solution.
  • The one big problem with trikes is transporting them, there just isn't a easy way compared to bicycles.
  • I DID collapse the Rover for a time last summer. Seat laid back and took steering arms off so it folded down under the cap. It might have been to store it overnight. We take so much stuff nordth when we go. Fill up the back seat and under the cap. Every extra inch is used. Thus trikes have to go on cap. Here’s a picture.
  • Had a Barrecraft-ers? Ski rack in the 80’s that would clamp to the roof gutters. If I could find something to temp mount to cap on edges, that might do. Stop the wheels from working back. First attempt will be with the mat material from Walmart. Only one style there that seemed to grip better. Don’t see industrial strength Velcro strips staying put when sitting out in weather.
  • The easy solution would be just load them on that trailer.
  • There are kayaks in there. 10.5 footers that go diagonal That trip might have been when we took a fuel oil tank up to cabin. Then on the way home trikes were in trailer. Last year I wanted to build a rack above yaks to hold a trike.
    Mount it to wood rails. Never got there. Guess I didn’t trust it.
  • That foto shows ratchet strap going down to hook on running boards. Anyone run a ratchet OVER the cab, and hook below on bumper?
  • Might be time for a van. Just thinking out loud.
    Glenn
  • I have been looking at conversion vans. All I want is a bed, a bathroom, and a small kitchenette. The trike needs to fit inside, also. Problem is those run about $80K and up. I don't think that will fit in my fixed budget!
  • Gov’t loans.
  • Used small Class C RV would do the trick and be a lot cheaper.
  • I meant a regular van. I have 2 Chryslers, a town and country and a pacifica. Or get one of the many other van models out there, ride good, comfortable. Fit a bunch of stuff in them and tow a trailer to if you want.

    Glenn
  • She just needs one for the trip to Michigan this summer.
  • Jerseyhawg, doesn't your trike fit in those two vans? I had considered a hybrid Pacifica but will scratch it off the list if my trike doesn't fit.

    My issue with a trike outside of the vehicle is how to lock it securely. My Alpaca carrier breaks into 2 pieces. I have a lock between them but it's only about 1/4" in diameter. Even using a chain lock won't really secure it if they break that lock. If someone steals this trike, I probably won't get another one. So, I protect it as best as I can.
  • Florida Bound, yes it did. I had the Rambler X30, which I sold. There was room to spare. I am getting the RAT and was told it will fit to. You can see I had only one rear seat down. That is in the Chrysler town and country. Very roomy.

    Glenn
  • This it the reason I prefer a topper. My neighbor has a cap on his pickup and he constantly complains about not being to transport the items that I can with my topper. Both of our trikes fit very nicely and securely inside the bed of the truck covered with the topper. The topper has two keyed lock handles and the tailgate also locks. Interestingly, I do not have to use any tiedowns to keeps the trikes in place. They stay in place in the bed of the truck simply with the brakes in the locked position.
  • First two trucks I owned had toppers. Last two just caps. Much better visibility
    This F150 is the first FULL size I have had. 6.5’ bed. First Dakota I owned had an 8’ bed and a full topper. Test drive I almost took a car off the highway trying to change lanes. Small low car equal to the height of the bed. Could see it’s roof thru the topper window.
  • This whole how to transport a trike issue needs manufacturer support if they expect trike sales to grow. Maybe a better folding trike solution would help. The dealers also need to support the customer when they shop to inform them of potential transport issues. A usable folding trike is far better then a trike not being used or some expensive and somewhat large and awkward rack is necessary to get somewhere.

    A customer having to buy a truck, van, trailer or motor home at significant cost to transport a trike is not a good business plan for trike manufacturers.

  • Folding trike is the only real solution. Imho

    Glenn
  • TCEd wrote: »
    This whole how to transport a trike issue needs manufacturer support if they expect trike sales to grow. Maybe a better folding trike solution would help. The dealers also need to support the customer when they shop to inform them of potential transport issues. A usable folding trike is far better then a trike not being used or some expensive and somewhat large and awkward rack is necessary to get somewhere.

    A customer having to buy a truck, van, trailer or motor home at significant cost to transport a trike is not a good business plan for trike manufacturers.

    I'm sorry, but your reasoning is flawed. All that it does is create an opportunity for new industry. Was there ever an outcry for a manufacturer to create a carrier for a DF bike, I think not. There are many examples cars have tires, but car manufacturers don't make tires.
  • The three things we tell prospective buyers are price, storage and transporting trike.
  • eagleeyetv wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »
    This whole how to transport a trike issue needs manufacturer support if they expect trike sales to grow. Maybe a better folding trike solution would help. The dealers also need to support the customer when they shop to inform them of potential transport issues. A usable folding trike is far better then a trike not being used or some expensive and somewhat large and awkward rack is necessary to get somewhere.

    A customer having to buy a truck, van, trailer or motor home at significant cost to transport a trike is not a good business plan for trike manufacturers.

    I'm sorry, but your reasoning is flawed. All that it does is create an opportunity for new industry. Was there ever an outcry for a manufacturer to create a carrier for a DF bike, I think not. There are many examples cars have tires, but car manufacturers don't make tires.

    The reason I put it on manufacturers is the density of sales are not there for aftermarket support. Yakima and Thule were late to the game I, the bicycle world.
  • So It would be great if Yakima (love my DF Hitch mount) or Thule would make a trike option. I called Yakima and they told me that have no plans for one, go to Hollywood racks. Oh well.
Sign In or Register to comment.