New Rover 8 owner would like to see pictures!

edited October 2011 in Rover
Hi
I am a new TT Rover 8 owner. Like everyone else here, I really love triking! I see pictures every now and then of people's trikes, but I would like to see more all in one thread. I was wondering if everyone would post a pic of their Rover with a little about themselves. Kind of a picture roll-call! It would be really helpful for a new triker/new forum member. Thanks!

Amy

Comments

• I am a very happy Rover Owner. Below are a few photos, and if you paste the link in my signature, you can view over 100+ photos of my Rover and minor changes I have made to it.

I'm near Akron, Ohio, 49 and fat. Am using my Rover in my rehab of a new hip.

05c16cb3.jpg

trike2011-02-07009.jpg

trike-mods2011-02-27022-1.jpg

Trike-Mods2011-02-25001.jpg
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • :lol: Yes, it is fun to see others' ideas on their modifications . . . mine is a Rover3. . . and in a year or two I can upgrade to an 8 speed. I'm medically retired, in Arizona so ride at night mostly for now. . . here's a photo of the "supercover" for our hot sun. Heard about a faering for the rainy days too.... but haven't seen one yet.
    Due to my mobility issues our local Walmart will let me ride "slowly" and carefully in their store to shop. . .so much better than a wheelchair!! :o
    Doing the right thing doesn't always make friends, but you will sleep better.
    Pedal power is always better than a wheelchair. . .
  • Hello Crimson Jewel ,

Welcome! I would be interested to know more about your Super Cover. Where can I learn more about them.

Thanks,
    Caryl
  • Hello Caryl,
    The website on the tag of the "UnderCover" is www.gotshade.com. however when I just tried to get to the website, yahoo and bing kept sending me to a yahoo-1 site which is not for this company. The cover was meant for the back of a camping chair. . . my sister in law gave it to my son for his wheelchair in 2001 or 2002 and he never used it so I tried it out and I love it. . . problem is finding it again. . . maybe you have a better search engine than I do . . . Cabellos or Walmart are the other ideas it is an oval shape with flat spring wire inside the edgeing. It fits inside (the second piece) and clips to the retangular piece(the second piece description) that slides over that back of the collapsible sling back camp chair, the strings are adjustable attach by velcro to the mirrors area instead of the handlebars now.
  • @ Crimson jewel - You may wish to consider re-routing your brake and shifter cables like I did. This gives you more 'thigh' room as you can then also center the steering arms thereby giving more room.

I have lots of photos on my photobucket pages - here are a few:

trike-mods2011-02-27013.jpg

trike-mods2011-02-27001.jpg

BrakeChange05-05-11009.jpg
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Arasgrandpa
    Rover 8
    Olympia, WA (Summer)/Chandler, AZ (Winter)
    www.tommymartin.info - Blog
  • Thank you, Arasgrandpa for the links!
  • photo.php?fbid=276410369051689&set=a.276410349051691.85140.100000481841674&type=1&theater

I have had my Rover for five weeks now. I usually ride a 4 mile loop in my neighborhood but have worked up to doing it twice now. I enjoy it but have had the usual problems of the seat sliding back and feet not staying on pedals. I think I will bolt the seat in place next and get a clipless pedal system since the powergrips are not the solution that I thought they would be.
  • jstoner wrote:
    photo.php?fbid=276410369051689&set=a.276410349051691.85140.100000481841674&type=1&theater

I have had my Rover for five weeks now. I usually ride a 4 mile loop in my neighborhood but have worked up to doing it twice now. I enjoy it but have had the usual problems of the seat sliding back and feet not staying on pedals. I think I will bolt the seat in place next and get a clipless pedal system since the powergrips are not the solution that I thought they would be.

In my experience, most folks that try Powergrips, eventually get clipless pedals.
  • We got ours in June, didn't ride in July at all and just started riding again last week. We're only up to 13 miles so far. You're doing good I think.
    We changed our pedals to BMX wide with the grip spikes all the way out and we haven't had any slippage.
    On The Monon
  • icingere wrote:
    We got ours in June, didn't ride in July at all and just started riding again last week. We're only up to 13 miles so far. You're doing good I think.
    We changed our pedals to BMX wide with the grip spikes all the way out and we haven't had any slippage.

Riding like that on a trike would scare me. One slip, and you could wind up a cripple.
  • Bob, they don't slip, that's the point. Also, we're not going fast or in traffic or down steep slopes. I am eye-balling Peter_C's sandals though.
    On The Monon
  • ?action=view&current=P8270157web.jpg

I tried to post from Facebook and it didn't work.
    I did my first 8 mile ride today.
  • icingere wrote:
    Bob, they don't slip, that's the point. Also, we're not going fast or in traffic or down steep slopes. I am eye-balling Peter_C's sandals though.

It is not only slipping, it is "bouncing". If you hit a sharp bump, your foot is not locked to the pedal, so it can bounce off the pedal and once it hits the ground you are in a world of hurt. I saw a leg suck injury first hand about 4 years ago, and this persons bike riding was over from the injury he sustained. He has trouble even walking without a cane. Not worth the gamble, in my opinion.
  • jstoner wrote:
    ?action=view&current=P8270157web.jpg

I tried to post from Facebook and it didn't work.
    I did my first 8 mile ride today.

thread on posting pictures...... viewtopic.php?f=26&t=583
  • P8270157web.jpg

Hopefully this worked this time. I have been trying to post this photo of me and my Rover since yesterday.
    I shot it at one of the business parks in The Woodlands, TX. Overcast skies that day though.
    I got "hassled by the Man" right after that. An old security guard saw me riding in the parking lot and told me it was private property.
    I guess a 60 year old on a trike looks like a terrorist. This was on a sunday morning and the place was empty. It was fun riding around the sidwalks around the ponds and fountains. It is hard to find safe places to ride here.
  • SunsetSpringsParkweb.jpg
    I started a new photo project today - to cycle my Rover to every park in The Woodlands, Texas. There are 104 small community parks in The Woodlands so this might take me a while. Tonight I made it to 5 of them in the two hours between getting off work and dusk.
  • Great photos :) I started a PhotoBucket account myself - as some forums are picky about their code. And (so far) PhotoBucket seems to work well with everyone.

My newest piece of bling - notice the 'snail' - LOL

Bling_Rover007.jpg
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Love it Peter! Did you have to do anything special to get the guard on? I'm still thinking about getting one soon.
    I Have My Rambler, SUNNIE!
    My Noob Blog - frontfendersngum.com

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • Nope - but it won't fit on the stock crank. It goes on the third chainring spot of a triple crank - since I bought a Lasco crankset, and only use one chainring (inner) - there was a place to put this. Better looking than four bolt tabs.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Hi Crimson Jewel,

Do you have any problem with your canopy blowing in the wind or buckling or anything? How does it attach? I couldn't really figure it out. I did order one from REI since I stay out of the hot sun as much as possible.

Thanks,
    Marian
    Marian

Rover 8 with 24T chain ring and shorter crankset
    Walky Dog - Checkers - whippet mix
    Bike Tow Leash - Cleo - boxer/English bulldog mix
    Puprunner http://www.puprunners.com/index.html

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.
  • Here's mine. The blue bag is one of my DIY panniers converted from a Walmart Ozark Trail 6can cooler
    DSCN1165.jpg

Another view:
    DSCN1164.jpg

And finally, the day I bought it. And that takes a bit of explanation. It was so hot and so humid...the camera fogged over and shot this rather spectral picture at high noon ("Demon Rover! Demon Rover!").
    DSCN1157.jpg

Lastly, I originally tried this with Picassa and that went nowhere, so I took Peter's advice and went Photobucket. MUCH easier...and it worked.
  • Great photos - love the fogged one! I've sorta became addicted to my Photobucket page, it's easy to use, and a nicer way of sharing photos via email (since most folks are online all the time) - you can 'follow' people you are interested in, and get updates when they add new photos, adding comments, even doing a photo "how-to" is rather easy on Photobucket.

Am curious on your seating? Are you both happy and comfortable with how you have it setup? Only reason I am asking - just wanna make sure you know in case it might be an issue? By extending your 'boom' a bit, you could then bring your seat forward (this would keep the cross-arms out of your way when mounting/dismounting, and then, if you desired, you'd be able to lower your seat-back *if* you wanted to do so. Of course, if that is exactly how you like it, then nevermind :)

One of the great points of the Rover, so many ways to set up the seating!
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Am curious on your seating? Are you both happy and comfortable with how you have it setup? Only reason I am asking - just wanna make sure you know in case it might be an issue? By extending your 'boom' a bit, you could then bring your seat forward (this would keep the cross-arms out of your way when mounting/dismounting, and then, if you desired, you'd be able to lower your seat-back *if* you wanted to do so. Of course, if that is exactly how you like it, then nevermind :)

Actually, Peter, the boom is out all the way already. Just got long legs. The seat being so upright is so that my ample belly (which is fading away) doesn't roll back into my diaphragm, constricting my breathing. And I just like the upright position better while cycling. But thanks for asking, that's thoughtful.

I have adjusted the seat since the ghost picture but that was because it slid out of position. I've remounted it, and backed it up with a secondary clamp, in the process moving it about 3/8" of an inch forward of the original position-hardly anything to write home about.

In fact the seat had slid back so far that it had fetched up against the 4th frame set screw and I hadn't really noticed until I did a 25 mile ride and had a bit of knee stress (from overextending my leg). A quick check of the board showed me your's and Bob's posts on proper knee flex and I checked the seat and bang! that was the problem.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank both CaptainBob and yourself for your help and knowledge. You two are gems. I mean it. Between you two you have asked and answered every question a newbie could ask, shown us how to customize if we wish, warned us of pitfalls, and have done so in a way that makes me just wanna read more from you guys. I bought the Rover (instead of a Cruiser or a Tour or even a non-TerraTrike) specifically because of you two addressing "newbie" issues so thoroughly-I feel like I've had a complete course on the "Care and Feeding of Your Rover".

When I went to look at the Rover at the Bike Center, the Bob and Peter posts had allowed me to form a very close idea of what I expected the Rover to be like. I walked in, sat down on the floor model, futzed with it, and said to myself "It's exactly what they said it would be like." I tried a Cruiser, Tour and a Catrike, and bought the Rover. I never even rode it at the store. And it's even better than I imagined. Of course, that could be a lack of imagination on my part. :lol:

There's no way of knowing how many Rovers and other trikes you two characters have managed to sell or presell for TerraTrike, but I can vouch for one.
  • Thigh-belly smack, and belly/breathing issues - I so know what you are saying there! Mine might be shrinking, but it's still got a long way to go - LOL

I've seen some trikes setup very differently, and I never know if it was done that way for a reason, or from lack of knowledge, or from a dealer in a hurry - so I try to throw stuff out there just in case it might help. As you can see, I am bad at guessing too :)
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Howdy all, been ridding so haven't checked the forum lately. I went to Orangewood RV Parts dept in Surprise, Arizona to purchase matching "UnderCover sun shades in black as when you put them on the trikes in reverse the silver is then reflective at night. Here is the info on the company where I purchased ours. . .(623) 974-3000
    Orangewood RV
    11449 W Bell Rd, Surprise, AZ, 85378 | Map The rep for the "UnderCover Sun shade" which is distributed from here in Arizona is aware of what we were using the sunshades for. . .Jim Card is the manager of the parts department . . .
    This sun shade has a sleeve that attaches to the top of the back of your chair so that you don't have the coverrubbing the top of your head.
    I invite you to friend up with me on FaceBook or Google + to look at my photos easily including the videos . . . <!-- e --><a href="mailto:crimsonjewel@cox.net">crimsonjewel@cox.net</a><!-- e -->. I have posted 3 short videos of my hubby for turning radius etc. . . for a friend that is considering purchasing one.
  • Here's a couple of pics of my Rover8.

75 miles on the odometer and feeling great!
    WhitePine2-vi.jpg
    WhitePine-vi.jpg
  • Congrats!!!

I rode 6.88 miles today on the Schoolhouse Trail in Madison County, Il. It was my third time riding my rover 8. Tomorrow I am going to Creve Coeur Park.

When I figure out my phone's camera and how to post pictures, I will do so.

Marian
    Marian

Rover 8 with 24T chain ring and shorter crankset
    Walky Dog - Checkers - whippet mix
    Bike Tow Leash - Cleo - boxer/English bulldog mix
    Puprunner http://www.puprunners.com/index.html

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.