Rover Tandem

edited August 2011 in Rover
Now that some of you have the tandem attachment, can anyone give a report? I am seriously thinking about one, main reason I opted for the Rover rather than wait for a Rambler, that and patience is not one of my strong points... The wife is a breast cancer survivor, but the meds leave her low on energy. She can do about 5-6 miles on the Rover so far and is thinking of getting a Rambler, she has the family patience... but I was thinking about a tandem attachment to allow us to do some 20 milers or more together.

Main question is about the rear stroker setup.. since it does not have independent pedaling, how much of an issue with:

1) different cadences for front and rear
2) rear resting while front strokes, or vice versa
3) can the rear truly "rest" while the front strokes, or at least kinda rest...

Any other observations appreciated....

Thanks in advance for the input...
Arasgrandpa
Rover 8
Olympia, WA (Summer)/Chandler, AZ (Winter)
www.tommymartin.info - Blog

Comments

• We have a rover tamdem and although we are still learning i think both cranks turn at the same speed but they are ofset in the power stroke the stoker can just ride with her feet on the center bar(my grandkids favorite) so far it has been great
  • Our Rover 8 Tandem attachment arrived last Tuesday, and has been heavily used all week since, by us, visiting relatives, and as a demo at the bike shop (Amlings Cycle in Niles IL.)

My wife LOVES it. She mentioned just tonight, unprompted, that it is been her best bike ever. She too (like the wife of the original poster) has issues riding on a single bike too far or too fast, so our riding together on the same bike is perfect for helping us stay together easily throughout the ride, and go farther than she could easily on her own.

The front and back cranks are intentionally offset 90 degrees, to smooth out the overall pedaling motion. Both cranks move at the same time and speed (cadence) whenever either does. I think TT intends to offer an independent pedaling option eventually, but there is not one yet, over than the suggestion already made for the stoker to just unclip and rest their feet on the frame.

Having ridden the Rover 8 as a single bike for a few months first, I was most impressed at how much better shock absorption is on the tandem - presumably due to its greater length and added weight.

Seeing it next to TT's other (more expensive) tandem at the shop last weekend, I was impressed by the Rover's higher seating position and lower pedaling position. Both of those are important features for my wife, so we'll not be upgrading to the other model even though it has more gears, etc.

One downside is that the tandem is too long to fit our Hitchrider with trike attachment, so we may have to transport it on top of our car - which could be interesting on a Prius.

Theoretically, we can also just disassemble the tandem enough to pack inside the car, but assembling it carefully the first time took me 3 hours, so I won't be doing that for weekly rides even if my assembly and disassembly speed improves dramatically.

Overall, it's well worth its asking price, and I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone would need to spend more to ride here in the flat lands.
  • Thanks Mr Jim... that's the info I was looking for. Also, sent you a PM about the Hitchrider
    Arasgrandpa
    Rover 8
    Olympia, WA (Summer)/Chandler, AZ (Winter)
    www.tommymartin.info - Blog