Winter Riding with TerraTrike Tour

edited October 2012 in Legacy Products
This is my first winter with my trike and, here in Iowa, we are finally starting to see some snow. With just a dusting of snow, my trike handles it very nicely. But yesterday, I encountered some small inclines with a couple of inches of snow and could not get enough traction to make it up the hill. Does anyone have some reconmendation of tires which will handle the snow?

Comments

• There are a lot of BMX tires out there with aggressive tread so I think your best bet is going to your local shop and taking a look.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • And there's also dedicated snow tires, some of them studded (or doing home-made studding to an existing non-studded snow tire or BMX tire - I've even seen zip ties used as studding).
    2011 TerraTrike Path 8 | bone stock for now...
  • I've also seen the zip tie "studs." They were interesting.

A friend of mine actually screwed very short sheet metal screws through his tire to create a decent ice tire. I was impressed and it worked quite well.
    Jason
  • I picked up a Kenda K50 20 x 1.75 BMX Tire for my rear wheel and had a chance to really test it today on the BRR Bike Ride. It about a 24 mile ride northwest of Des Moines, Iowa and we were hit by our first real snow storm of the season. The tire perform great, tracking thru slush and snow with no problem.
  • edited April 2012
    I have used zip ties before and I must say they work quite well if you are not trying to drop some cash on heavy duty tires. :)
    bhtooefr wrote:
    And there's also dedicated snow tires, some of them studded (or doing home-made studding to an existing non-studded snow tire or BMX tire - I've even seen zip ties used as studding).
    Strip Hotels Las Vegas Vegas hotel list
  • I would suggest you to go for the specialized snow tires. If you don’t get them locally, try buying one online. They handle very well in the snow and provide better grip. You can also stud them according to your preference.
    David Fischer.
    best law schools